Remote battery Voltage sensing?

Started by Mike W, April 08, 2018, 10:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike W

Hi boB,

Is there an easy way to create remote battery voltage sensing with the Classic 150? I was wondering if it couod be as simple as lifting a resitor lead and bringing an extra wire out? If possible, would a another resistor be fitted from the sense point to the batt V+ terminal in the classic so that in the event the remote batt sense lost voltage, the classic would still function as today?

We use the classic and 1000W of solar to power our sailboat down south in the winter. I’m looking at going to Lithium batteries and am interested in getting accurate voltage sensing at the battery.

Mike

boB

Actually, yeah there IS a resistor that senses the battery voltage at the terminal.  Moving that sense point would
only sense the positive lead though and you would still be left with the negative cable voltage drop.

I'm not sure how well this would work though because of the noise that would be picked up with that
wire being external.  Good question.

So, how much charge current and therefore voltage drop when the battery gets up to that finishing voltage ?

The current has usually dropped off enough that that point that it is minuscule.  But maybe not in your case ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

RossW

Hi Bob, you'll recall we discussed this a couple of years back in IRC, and it was on the "wish list".
Voltage drop at the end of charge is, as you say, fairly small - but it's not the only time it's important.

Knowing the actual voltage while the pack is charging hard is highly beneficial too!

While eliminating the drop from the positive lead only isn't ideal, it does still halve the error, so it's worth having!

A proper differential input so we could have sense leads on + and - terminals would be wonderful, but that isn't just a simple "lift this resistor" field fix.
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine

boB

I think what would be cool (and fairly simple) would be a new-ish Whizbang Junior
with that differential input just like it uses for the 500 amp shunt.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Quote from: boB on April 10, 2018, 02:09:27 PM

I think what would be cool (and fairly simple) would be a new-ish Whizbang Junior
with that differential input just like it uses for the 500 amp shunt.

boB

YES !!   +1,000 !   Had been hoping for just such a solution.

Thanks,   FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

markinredding

I have a Classic 150 at our cabin. No internet and the controller is in the basement.
I hooked up an old linksys router to it. On my smart phone and a tablet running Android I down loaded the "Classic Monitor" app from the Play store. It monitors every aspect of the Classic there is. (I have and would recommend installing the Wizbang for sure!!! In fact I think you must have it to get the battery voltage.)
First thing I do when I get there on the weekends is start the app and leave it running. It has an awesome multi page display you swipe through. My favorite is the watching the daily charge as it goes through the various charging phases.
I can open the phone or tablet any where in the cabin (three stories) and see everything. Coolest app I ever had and it is free. (You can only have one device connected at  time, I like the tablet but...) This is a 35 year old system I completely updated and had assorted issues. I drive up and look at the panels and know nothing - fire up this app and you can see everything. Has a calendar that show for one thing if the charging cycle made it to Float.

Westbranch

Mark, I believe you are referring to Grahams (personal ) Android version of the Local App.... YES it  is  a great clone , too bad the LA has to be run with Adobe AIR...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

boB

Quote from: Westbranch on June 06, 2018, 08:35:13 PM
Mark, I believe you are referring to Grahams (personal ) Android version of the Local App.... YES it  is  a great clone , too bad the LA has to be run with Adobe AIR...

What's wrong with AIR ?  Except that it will probably stop having updates which doesn't stop it from working, luckily...

At the time the LA was designed, AIR was going to be a good option because it was cross-platform compatible.
I think you can still download AIR for the 3 big formats ?

All formats have their problems though...  "Upgrades" like to windows 10 even screw things up for people.

Dang electronics and computers will ALWAYS break down at some point.  I hate that.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Westbranch

Hi boB, I run W7 (held onto XP as long as possible, so stable!)  and since early March I have randomly been getting  an 'not available' type of message when I start the LA, so I close it and reopen and it finds my 1 active Classic...  Have also checked for AIR updates and none exist... I have auto notifications set for program updates and manual install...

When or if it doesn't work after a restart I'll post a note here.

Due to a request from my SWMBO we are running Graham's android app all day and all she worries about is the  SoC %....
I do still use the LA for Tweaking the value settings, but the graphics are hard to see with these old eyes...

ciao....
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

ClassicCrazy

yeah I use the Local Status App all the time - but it certainly has it's issues. Always have to click through a few errors - all the time - forget what they are but  consistently every day  to get the data. Also no way to resize the window to full screen.  One only has to use Grahams Classic Android monitoring app to see what a fantastic display of data could be. We ask Graham to make some change and he seems to be able to do it fairly easily. The Local Status app just doesn't seem so flexible for the programmers to make changes. But it works and like I said I use it despite the  annoyances.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Yes, computer annoyances abound.

I did try Graham's app once on my Android and it was REALLY nice !  He did a great job on that.

I think it only works on Android at the moment ?  Which is fine with me.

I have so many annoyances with Android too though although I'm sure that Graham's app will
continue to function.

Android wasn't what it was when Andrew made the LA I don't think ?

Thanks for the updates on things.  It could all be worse !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Like everything,   while the LA  might not be perfect,   it IS a huge benefit to many of us with Classics   ...

But just to try to be clear,   that the Remote Battery Voltage Sense  (leads)   being discussed  in the original post  would allow the Classic to measure the battery voltage with separate wires that have essentially NO current flow in them.   Presently the Classic measures battery voltage at its output terminals.   So,   there is a voltage drop in these leads,   that depends upon the amount of current flowing in the Classic's output leads,   and in the circuit breaker for that connection.

The bottom line,  as things are now,   the Classic and the LA and/or the Android app  work exceedingly well.   Most of us always want MORE functions,   features and  capabilities.   Thanks boB and the entire MidNite crew for all of the amazingly terrific products,   that work SO well,   as they are.

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!