Update firmware with a tablet

Started by 3gd16, April 23, 2018, 09:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3gd16

Hi all I am new to this site I have a kid that needs an update to the firmware but don't have access to a computer. I have a linux based acer tablet and wanted to know if anyone has done an update with success with the tablet.

ClassicCrazy

I doubt that a tablet would work for doing the update since you need to have a serial port  connection to the Kid. Also the procedure that is documented to upload the firmware update is Windows based - maybe could be done via linux but haven't heard much about that.

Perhaps you can find someone who has a laptop who could help you get that done ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Highflyer

Depending on your Linux Distro, updating with a tablet requires several things to work right.   First off, your tablet needs a USB port.  Next the software on your tablet needs to be able to transfer files to other devices (most linux distros can do this, some are going to need an update first).  Then you need to be able to connect the Kid and tablet and transfer the file.  If you know what you are doing, it is fairly straight forward, if you are unsure, find someone with a windows computer and borrow it for the transfer/update.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

KyleM

The hardest part is getting the device to recognise the KID so the .fup file can be transferred. The KID acts much like a regular thumb drive when it is in update mode.

-Kyle

ricardo

i think a raspberry pi would work fine for doing updates .. it runs linux and has USB ports.

If all you need to do is recognize the KID as a thumbdrive and write a file to it, why doesn't Mac OS work?