The disappointing child with Rev 1856 / Rev 1860 brings new issues

Started by bmrc, April 30, 2018, 10:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmrc

On the bright side, the charger appears to still be working. However it hasn't been over 5 weeks yet (when it froze the last time). No matter the outcome, I will update this topic with the status of the charger.

FNG

I just spoke with engineering over at MidNite, Mario promised to stop in here and see if he can get tot he bottom of this.

Mario

BMRC, I am glad you are an IT nerd, I understand your frustration, here at Midnite we are working hard at keeping and supporting our customers we do not have a big staff like Apple or Samsung even tho we do get some bugs in our code just like they do, Maybe they can provide you with their source code to fix their issues too.
Anyways, I looked at the code and it seems like there was a bit left set for debug vs release, I will attach the kid code if you are willing to try it out, the code has not been tested or released by our team since it will take some time, but if you are willing to give it a try be my guest.

I apologize for the inconvenience. 

Mario

bmrc

Quote from: Mario on May 16, 2018, 05:47:19 PM
BMRC, I am glad you are an IT nerd, I understand your frustration, here at Midnite we are working hard at keeping and supporting our customers we do not have a big staff like Apple or Samsung even tho we do get some bugs in our code just like they do, Maybe they can provide you with their source code to fix their issues too.

I realize my previous posts shed a bad light on your product in a somewhat snarky manner, and it's human reaction to be defensive, but your (poor) attempt at humor is neither funny nor helpful. My request for source code was sincere - If no one was willing to look further into my issue I'd do it myself given the tools. If Apple or Samsung released botched firmware that caused phones to randomly freeze after weeks of working then provided poor customer service to those impacted, they wouldn't have a big staff for long.

Quote from: Mario on May 16, 2018, 05:47:19 PM
Anyways, I looked at the code and it seems like there was a bit left set for debug vs release, I will attach the kid code if you are willing to try it out, the code has not been tested or released by our team since it will take some time, but if you are willing to give it a try be my guest.

I appreciate you at least providing something to try, but no thanks on the untested firmware. I feel as if I'm already rolling the dice with the firmware/charger I've got, no need to double down on my bet with a charger 6 hours away from home.

If I can't get all of the data as I did before, can you at least clarify what the 6 data points are that I'm receiving in 1860? At first glance it looks like the WBjr data is whats missing, but I'm just making a guess without any documentation or code to verify.

Mario

I agree we can have a constructive conversation without the bad humor or sarcasm.

The first 2 variables in 1860 are Battery voltage and PV voltage, everything else will not be helpful to you since it is being used for debugging different peripherals of the unit, The code I sent you (1863) would be safe to use since all I did in the code was to disable the debug bit on the PC Comm for the PC, I am not trying to pressure you in any way to use this code in your unit since it is 6 hrs away, but you will have to realize that testing the code here will take some time, we will do our best to get it out as soon as we can.

BTW I tested the code here with my PC to a kid and this is what I got:

139,129,,,,-530,,100,400,39,                                               
139,130,,,,-530,,100,400,39,

Which is the same as what 1856 used to send out, I don't have a WBJR connected or a BTS

Thanks,
Mario

ClassicCrazy

I believe Mario said there was some debugging stuff in that previous firmware output that is a bit messed up and that the firmware he just posted should fix it.  Lots of us on here have served as beta testers for their new products and firmware updates. Mario just offered you the chance to test the fixed firmware since you seem to have volunteered in  your other post.

I have to tell you that in all the years I have been on this forum your post has been the toughest or sort of hostile towards  the Midnite staff. They have always been helpful and innovative and often offer new features that forum users have politely and seriously requested. It seems Midnite has been working on resolving your concerns with the issue you raised.  The fact that you have been able to offer your pointed critiques is testament to their customer service . If they were not open and had some kind of attitude your post on here and repeated tone could have been easily deleted at the very beginning .  No one has done that .

Enjoy the sunshine and the people who bring the products to you . ( I see Mario responded just before I did ).

Larry 
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

bmrc

ClassicCrazy - I do apologize for the tone I've set, as I stated earlier I can be a snarky bastard. I think my pointed critiques at least give an idea as to why I've been frustrated. I don't mind waiting for a fix, but the lack of communication and a 'resolved' ticket really got me. I offered to look at code to understand the issue, not to be a beta tester. I spent a lot of money to have it work 'out of the box' specifically because of the remote location. Anyway, I'm just beating a dead horse about my experience thus far, so moving forward with a more positive tone...

Mario - Thank you for the information. Knowing what you've changed in 1863 and the explanation of the root cause gives me much more confidence to try this out. I'm not sure when I'll be at the property again, but I'll report back once I do update. I'm also planning on adding a Programmable Logic Controller for load control and monitoring voltages. If I add a large relay in the chargers positive battery wire I should be able to reset it remotely if I have an issue.

Could you please shed some light on what was changed in 1860 to fix freezing? Was this some sort of overflow issue? I'm really curious as to why my setup failed and others haven't.

ClassicCrazy

bmrc

You may want to have a look at this topic in case you have not seen it yet  ( and others in open source section ) 

http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=2765.0

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Highflyer

Mario and All,

I have two Kids setup for beta testing.  I will be glad to upload one of them with 1863.  My two Kids running 1860 have never frozen up.  I do have WBJr's and BTMS for both.  I'll update as soon as I get 1863 running.

I for one am very impressed with everyone at Midnite.  Sure there are going to be issues, show me any code that is still on version 1.0  I dare you.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

boB

I talked with Mario and there was definitely a flash bit set that would send out debugging information for part of the string
that nobody else would be able to make heads or tails of.  Evidently part of that data string was normal.

Luckily it was a simple matter to fix.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience of having to re-program the Kid.
We're so busy here lately that we're running around like chickens with our legs cut off !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Highflyer

Mario,
Does 1863 have the new windows 10 update, or do I need to use the old key updater?

Thanks.
Brian

ke6cvh

It can't be as bad as my almost 500 dollar Outback MATE3 and it's supposed grid zero function for my four series/parallel 3500 watt inverters.  First the grid zero is not documented properly (why I bought it in the first place) with it's limiting to almost nothing in grid zero from the battery bank and almost all from the grid.  Then the MATE3 had 1 too many errors I think is the problem and will not clear faults and will not see or accept an SD card so it is frozen.  My inverters are on autocruz for weeks now.  And the priority of the inverters is also messed up only straightened out by tech assist.  I had to use their recommendations from a trouble ticket to overcome it shutting down with surges of 2hp motor starting (with 14kw of inverters and 150 solar panels).  I had to implement my own homebrew grid zero with a meanwell 2kw power supply to sip off the grid and now manually disconnect every morning with the MBT and the meanwell upstream of the MBT.  I feel your pain on the lack of documentation on the kid (and also Outback products) and software glitches (in their case likely done by a programming team in India).  Best regards, Mike

Highflyer

Mario,
I used the new updater and supplied it with 1863.  It loaded well. 

Going through the menus, I see the PWM divert is missing from the load section, is this on purpose?

Brian

smanners

I have two classic 150s and they are bullet proof. For my smaller installations I looked at kid but for the price was not impressed. Enerdrive make to notch kit and went with a couple of their dc2dc mppt chargers. Beautiful bit of engineering. Love my classics though for larger installs can’t beat them. Hope you get your issues sorted after investing the money.

bmrc

Update: My kid with 1860 is still charging, Hallelujah!

Quote from: Highflyer on May 23, 2018, 12:04:01 PM
Mario and All,

I have two Kids setup for beta testing.  I will be glad to upload one of them with 1863.  My two Kids running 1860 have never frozen up.  I do have WBJr's and BTMS for both.  I'll update as soon as I get 1863 running.

I for one am very impressed with everyone at Midnite.  Sure there are going to be issues, show me any code that is still on version 1.0  I dare you.

Do you ever reset your chargers?

1856 isn't version 1.0 so I'm failing to see the parallel. My complaint was not that midnite updates their code...that'd be silly. Something like the serial data formatting is unfortunate, but the charger freezing is wholly unacceptable. IMO, both issues should've been caught in testing before firmware was released - the malformed serial data shows midnite certainly isn't using a standardized test before a version release. We, the paying customers, are the testers...