The disappointing child with Rev 1856 / Rev 1860 brings new issues

Started by bmrc, April 30, 2018, 10:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: bmrc on August 13, 2018, 10:44:40 PM
It looks like the charger (with 1860) has frozen again. I won't know for sure until I visit my property again, but the charger isn't spitting out any serial data anymore.

take a look here
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=4127.msg40602#msg40602
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

bmrc

I visited my property this weekend and confirmed the kid wasn't working again. Batteries were still up at 25.4v thanks to a PLC shutting off loads when no charge current was detected for 3 days. Unlike the last time when the kid froze, this time it appears to be completely dead. There was no text on the LCD when I arrived, and disconnecting/reconnecting from the batteries and solar didn't do anything.

I'll be starting a ticket with midnite and will report back how it goes.

bmrc

December 2018 Update

Midnite gave me an RMA, and I shipped the Kid back for repair. It was still under warranty so there was no charge (other than my shipping cost). Midnite repaired it and sent it back within a few days. I must say, excellent service. The reason for the failure: "It had a blown main processor." I inquired further, but the answer was about as I expected;

"Hard to say what blew out the processor.  Could have been loose solder joints on the circuit board caused by shipping/handling.   Could have been voltage spike on one of the circuits to the processor.  A resistor was replaced too.  This particular resistor blows when the processor blows, so that doesn’t help narrow down the root cause.  Sorry, just no way of knowing in cases like this."

I'm hoping that the failed processor was due to something rare, but only time will tell. I bench tested for about 3 months with no issues, and just recently returned to my property to wire it back up again. No issues so far (fingers crossed).

bmrc

August 2020 Update

Not quite 2 years later and the kid is dead again, same symptoms as last time. No warranty this time, so I'll take a stab at repairing it myself.

U1 on the PCB is visibly damaged next to the ground pin. This chip is marked 5022, does anyone know if this is an LM5022? https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm5022-q1.pdf .

This is a long shot, but are there any schematics available for the kid?

Thanks,
Nick

KyleM

Quote from: bmrc on August 17, 2020, 12:43:06 AM
August 2020 Update

Not quite 2 years later and the kid is dead again, same symptoms as last time. No warranty this time, so I'll take a stab at repairing it myself.

U1 on the PCB is visibly damaged next to the ground pin. This chip is marked 5022, does anyone know if this is an LM5022? https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm5022-q1.pdf .

This is a long shot, but are there any schematics available for the kid?

Thanks,
Nick

Nick,
The KID carries a 5 year warranty. I would cover this repair even if it was out of that time. Looks like you had much better luck with the latest FW version?

If you could send me your shipping address and current phone number in an email I will set up the RMA for you.

bmrc

Hi Kyle,

I sent you a PM with my info. I was under the impression that it had a 2 year warranty, so its great to hear it's still covered.

The kid has been running the 1860 firmware since it was repaired in 2018. While this version has the serial data bug it was stable as far as charging operation, which was most important to me.

Thanks,
Nick

boB

Quote from: bmrc on August 17, 2020, 06:22:06 PM
Hi Kyle,

I sent you a PM with my info. I was under the impression that it had a 2 year warranty, so its great to hear it's still covered.

Thanks,
Nick

Well, IF it WAS 2 years, it's too late now !

Thanks Kyle !

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me