Mini stop switch, 63 amp, for Bergey XL1?

Started by itri, May 01, 2018, 10:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itri

Hi,  I've had a 24 volt Bergey XL1 since 2004.  It came down in 2011 for new blades, bearings, and slip rings.  Down again last month for smoke release on the original charge controller.  Since Bergey no longer sells their original charge controller, I'm upgrading to the new 48 volt stator and a new MidNite Classic 250.  My issue is that I still have the rectifier in the nacelle and have DC coming down the tower and to my battery room.  I did not have a disconnect on my old system between the tower and the old charge controller because I had a dump load and could put the system into slow/stop mode with the controller. Bergey tells me I don't need one now, that the Classic can handle the full power with the new stator and I can hook the dump load up to classic.  What do you all think?  The clipper is not an option due to current rectifier and slip ring configuration.  I'm thinking of adding a MN-STOP SWITCH 63A, which says for wind turbines, although I don't see that on the MidNite site anymore. Would this work and would I have any issues?

Robin

We made that stop switch just for turbines. Should work fine although you do not want to try to stop the XL.1 when it is already going very fast. It will burn out the stator.
The stop switch should be on our website under wind accessories although I didn't look.
Robin Gudgel

FNG

The 48v stator will exceed the 150 volt rating of those breakers, I would suggest swaping the 2 breakers out with a pair of the MNEPV50-300 breakers to be safe