looking for a midite solar expert in SoCal : SOS

Started by andrewszabo, May 12, 2018, 09:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewszabo

I just bought an RV Bus with a Midnite Solar KID system. Sunpower flexible panels, 3 batteries and the MSK charger.
This weekend the Kid went silent. The LCD screen is blank. I don't know what's happening.
I've downloaded the manual and there's no trouble shooting in it.
I don't know how to turn it on.

Is there anyone is Southern Calfifornia (LA) who could help me.

a) overhaul my solar setup
b) add two more panels
c) add two more batteries
e) let me know what is going on with the system.

I need this set up urgently. You may contact me by phone 1 31O 426 O97I - Andrew

ClassicCrazy

There are two fuses accessible from the front of the Kid.
Have you checked those ?  especially the Battery one.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

andrewszabo

Vic

Hi Andrew..,   Welcome to the Forum.

You should try to Reset the KID.   To do this,   you should shut off the PV input,  first,  by switching the input circuit breaker (every  Charge Controller needs two breakers  --  one on the input,  and one on the output).   Then switch OFF the battery breaker.   Wait about one minute,   then switch the battery breaker ON first   ...   the KID should start up with the normal screen display.   If the KID does wake up,  switch the PV (input) breaker to ON.    With this,  does the KID now work?

Some systems use fuses,   instead of breakers,   but breakers are inexpensive,   and CCs,  need a safe ability to switch the inputs and outputs.

If the KID still has a dark screen,   can you measure the PV input voltage to the KID  --  perhaps at the Combiner,  if the system has one.

Do you know the model number of the PVs,   and  the number of PVs per string,   and the number of strings,   this info can help us.

Be careful when measuring the input voltage,   as it could be near 100 VDC  (although not too likely on a coach).   Voltages at this level could be lethal.

I cannot recommend anyone that could help you with your system,   or upgrades.   If you are a bit handy,   this Forum can be useful in trying to help you,   from afar.

Please do let us know how you are doing.   Good Luck,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Vic

Should add the rather obvious (extending on what Larry mentioned)   ...

Probably the very first thing to check is the battery voltage.   Assume that this system is 12 VDC.   Most MPPT  CCs will not operate when the battery voltage is below about 8 V.

If the battery is  very DEAD,   there is a reasonable chance that it will  not even boot up.

If you do not have one,   a Digital Multi - Meter (DMM)  is the first tool to buy.
If your batteries are Flooded Lead Acid (FLAs),   the second tool that you will need,  is a reasonable Hydrometer.   One from a NAPA,  or other good Auto Parts store  will have one for about $8,  or so.   Find one with a glass float,  and glass outer tube,   and one that has SG numbers,   NOT colors only,   and definitely,   NOT ones with colored balls.   Also avoid a Hydro that is plastic with  a pointer.

Some plastic Hydros are good,  like the Hydrovolt,   that is distributed by MidNite.

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

KyleM

Just to confirm what Vic said,  yes the KID requires at least 10.5 volts from the battery to start up.

Once it has that voltage it takes 133% of the battery system voltage to start charging.

This means in order for the KID to start charging a 12-volt battery bank it needs 10.5 volts from the battery and 15 volts from the PV.
If the PV voltage falls below this 133% point the charge controller will go into resting mode. (not charging)

Kyle