MNGP remote Installation cable build info

Started by ktazz, May 21, 2018, 02:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktazz

Hello. would like to remote my 150's MNGP to another location and have seen posts about needing a longer cable. Does anyone have a pin out diagram for that cable that explains the number of conductors needed and if the jacks are crossover or straight wired? Tried a straight wired four conductor without success. Thanks.

ClassicCrazy

If you look at the existing connectors on the small MNGP cable  you will see that it has 6 pins.  I used a 6 pin telephone type  cord - about 25 or 30 feet and it works fine. Like this one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-ft-Telephone-Line-Cord-Modular-6-Pin-RJ-25-RJ-11-RJ-14-Gold-Plated/292535334114?hash=item441c76f4e2:g:550AAOSw1WJZMv3c
Not sure how far you can run a wire - but guess you could try  getting the RJ-11  plugs and making your own - keep them straight through no cross over. Look closely at the supplied small cord and you can see the color wires in the connector .

There is something of a pinout included in the Modbus specs document - at the end of it. http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/classic_register_map_Rev-C5-December-8-2013.pdf

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

FNG

Pin 1 on end 1 becomes pin 6 on end 2
Pin 2 on end 1 becomes pin 5 on end 2
Pin 3 on end 1 becomes pin 4 on end 2
Pin 4 on end 1 becomes pin 3 on end 2
Pin 5 on end 1 becomes pin 2 on end 2
Pin 6 on end 1 becomes pin 1 on end 2

the outside 2 conductors 1 and 6 are used for LEDs on the MNGP so 4 conductor can be used but you lose the LEDs

Memory tells me that standard phone cable wil go about 25ft but if you use a cable like cat5 you can go 100-150ft

ClassicCrazy

FNG
I just had a look at my Midnite short cable to the MNGP and you are right - they do cross over.
Do you know if all telephone cables cross over ?  Maybe the one I used I just got lucky with it cause I didn't do any changing of wiring on it.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

australsolarier

here in australia telephone cables usually do NOT cross over. i had to order  special cross over cables.

naturally this might be entirely different in the USA .

FNG

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on May 23, 2018, 03:16:47 PM
FNG
I just had a look at my Midnite short cable to the MNGP and you are right - they do cross over.
Do you know if all telephone cables cross over ?  Maybe the one I used I just got lucky with it cause I didn't do any changing of wiring on it.
Larry

for the most part in the US any newer phone cables are mirror image like this, I hesitate to call it cross over as thats a Ethernet cable term

australsolarier

fng,
same principle, however you like to call them or to hesitate to call them.
important thing is we understand the telephone cable cannot be straight, as it interferes with the polarity. according to the midnite classic manual.

ClassicCrazy

Very recently  I was trying to get modbus working via 25 foot telephone cable plugged into middle jack on Classic. I couldn't get it working and then finally looked at the cable plugged in the end of the Classic and the new connector end I had put on to replace one that was all corroded out. I thought I had put it on the same way it came off ( I had ) but then figured I had put it on backwards when I looked at the other end !  So I had put it on right !  But of course the pinout was reversed from the Midnight drawing because it " crossed over  " .  Though I had taken meter reading on +9v wire and figured out the right orientation for what I was trying to do via that - but then later second guessed myself because I didn't know they were reversed - geez - spend a lot of time messing around with all that and never did get the modbus working !  Will try again some other day .

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

FNG

ClassicCrazy, The issue may have been the 25ft phone cable, Try a piece of cat 5 with 6 pin ends on it

ClassicCrazy

Good point - I have some Cat5 and Cat6 cable and some more connectors on order .
Maybe the wrong long cable was the source of my frustration - though the MNGP seemed to work okay with it.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable