CC 'stuck' in Float after WBJr install

Started by n1x4, May 29, 2018, 01:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n1x4

First off, hello! Love the Classics but this is just odd. After installing the WBJr onto shunt my CC just sits at Float unless I manually go in the Local App and force Absorb (Bulk) then it functions as intended. I'm at a loss. I've checked and doubled checked settings, everything seems fine. Setpoints of Float, EQ and Absorb have been set. My other CC without a WBJr works just fine. I should clarify my setup right about now. I have two arrays of 3x 24v 300w monos wired in series going to their own respective CC (Midnite Classic 150) all wired into a 1200 aH AGM batt. bank.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Vic

Hello n1x4,   Welcome to the Forum.

It is not clear just what just what has happened.   Or,  what you expected to happen when powering the system back up,   after the initial installation of the WbJr.

If the system had been in Float,  and you turned off the PV and battery breakers to the Classics for the install,   and then  re-powered the Classics,   that is one thing.

If  you installed the WbJr,   and the Classic with the Wb  started in Float (and you are NOT using Skip Days),   that is another.

Are the Classics in Follow-Me?
Are you using Skip Days?

More later,  Thanks for added info on your system,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Vic

AND,  since you are on-line here,   now,  will not Edit the previous post;

There is a WBjr Topic,   and found the following Thread,   there:

http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=3520.0

Is that of any help?  Thanks,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

n1x4

Afternoon Vic. Thanks for the reply. Sadly the link doesn't help as I kind of knew that but thank you nonetheless.

As for the install procedure I disconnected the batts and PVs before doing anything and reconnected when finished and everything works just as expected with the WBJr except for the damn manual switching to Absorb :/  Thought it could be just low light/shade but I left it in peak sun (I've done this for 4 days) for a while pulling in over 860w on the WBJr CC and still in Float. While the other CC without the WBJr was just humming away in Bulk MPPT nearly the same wattage.

And as for the are they in Follow-Me. They are now. I just finished that up after I posted the thread.

Vic

n1x4,

1.  Are you using Skip Days?
2.  Does the WB CC have an Absorb time set?
3.  Did each CC begin each day in Bulk,   before the WB install?
4.  At the beginning of the day,   EXACTLY what is the charge stage of the WB CC?
5.  What is the battery voltage of the system?

At this point,  you should NOT have an EA setting in either CC,  just a reasonable Absorb Time setting of an hour minimum,   up to a greater number of hours  --  this depends upon the nominal DOD  of the batteries.

You have a fairly large battery bank.  Is the system battery voltage 12V?

Please tell us much more about your system details.

Out of time,   thanks for the added info.   Vic

n1x4

Ok, here goes (I'm still fairly new to solar as you may have guessed).

1. No, no Skip Days
2. Yes. They both have the factory time set of 2 hours.
3. Yes. Before the WB each CC would go into Bulk when they got the sun (the WBless CC still does).
4. Float and Float MPPT (MPPT when theres still some shading from trees early in the AM).
5. 12v battery bank. I have 8 Lifeline GPL-6CT (6v in series parallel).

I do not use EAs right now. I've read about it but tbh I don't know EXACTLY what it does so I didn't mess with it yet.

Any other information you need plese let me know.

Vic

n1x4,   thanks for the added info.

Can you see the charge stage that the WBed CC begins in the AM?

There is a setting in the Tweaks menu  --  A-Rst (or similar abbreviation).   Please check to see if that is set to ON in each CC.

Among other things,   this resets  Net Ah.   If this is not set,   (I forget),   but,   this might keep the CC from starting the CC in Bulk,   for a full-charge,   each day.

What version of FirmWare does each CC run?   Follow-Me  seems to be not involved in your original situation,   but it is really best that each CC run the same (and really,   the latest)  FW version.

It might not hurt to save all of your custom settings for each CC via the Local App(LA),   and  do the Reset to Defaults in the WBed CC,   and then restore custom settings from the LA,   and see what happens.

FWIW,   just too much guessing.    Vic

n1x4

Well turned out to be a PEBKAC (Problem Existed Between Keyboard And Chair) error. Oh boy do I feel foolish. It was my skip days. They were still set to 14 so I must have forgot to click the Write button. Figures hah. I have it set to 0 now and all is purring right along.

Thanks again for all your help!

Vic

OK,  Great that you found it,  n1x4,   good work!

Yea,   we,  ALL,   have had that issue of not writing to the Classic  from the LA,   or not pressing Enter,   from the MNGP,   I sure have.

Thanks for checking all of your settings.

Have fun with your system.   Solar stuff IS fun.    Thanks for the update,   Vic

boB

Thank you Vic for helping n1X4 here !

I was going to go with the Ending Amps were set to non-zero and SHUNT myself.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me