Classic 200 jamming up and software

Started by cybermaus, June 02, 2018, 06:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cybermaus

Hi all

I have not been active for a while on this forum, so appologies if I am asking well discussed items.

Last winter my classic started to jam. Every so often it was jammed, and I had to make it powerless and restart for it to work. This is worrysome, because even if the firmware is old, it should not start to work worse then before.

Still, before I start to ask about warrenty or repair, it seemed sensible to at least upgrade to the latest firmware, which I have done just now. To the latest version, which seems to be dated early 2017. Before I had one from 2015 or so.

I have the following questions:

= Even though I did a factory reset after upgrade (by keep left/right Arrow button pressed), the WB-Jr capacity and static network IP address remained in the system. It did loose the other settings like operation mode and date/time. Is this normal, or did it not properly reset?

= There used to software for Windows remote control. I cannot find that anymore. Only a 3rd party windows tool, but not the official software of a few years ago, the one that required Adobe Air. Is that dropped, or am I not searching in the correct place.

= That thing where the Classic 200 kept jamming and I needed to disconnect all power to make it work again, is that a known failure mode? Should I be worried? I guess I will know in a week or so if that is still happening.

Thanks

ClassicCrazy

What were the exact symptoms when it jammed or locked up ? 

There are two parts of the update - one is the firmware and one is the MNGP - did you update both parts ?

The Local Status windows software is on the Midnite website under Software  Local Application Software - http://www.midnitesolar.com/firmware.php?firmwareProduct_ID=2

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

cybermaus

Hmm, I was on that local page, but because it mentions "firmware" a lot, I thought it was for some other product.
A bit odd to call it "Download Product Firmware Classic Local Application software" if its a windows app, but it is indeed the software I meant, thanks.

Yes, I did update both classic and MNGP.
So is it correct some values stick around after a factory reset, or should I do it again, using the jumpers this time?

As to behavior: It kept being responsive to buttons, but just would not charge, show 0V solar, and 0A charge, and 24V battery.
This leads me to think it was the classic itself, not the MNGP that was jammed, but it could also be the comms between them of course.

ClassicCrazy

Yes I would try the jumper reset - can't hurt if you don't mind doing it.
Usually I save all the Classic settings with Local Status app because it is easy to restore them but you already cleared them.
You should see the  new firmware listed on MNGP and on Local Status app if you have updated them successfully .
If you have not done it already check all your wiring connections carefully from PV to Classic  and make sure all connections at breakers or other points are tight and good.
You can check voltages with digital multimeter too if you have problems again to confirm it is Classic.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Does the MNGP display keep working and give you a "Got Comm?" error ?

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

cybermaus

Yes, the MNGP seems to stay responsive, and I do not remember any "Got Comm" error.

I say "seems" responsive because I can go into menu's and status screens, but as mentioned, it does show incorrect values of 0V and 0A.
The 0A is correct (it is indeed at those moments not charging according to my DMM with DC clamp) but there is voltage on both battery and solar.

Since the last reset and firmware update last Saturday it is still working, but that does not mean much yet, over the last few months it was also working between a few days to a few weeks after restarting by making it powerless.

boB

OK, so the MNGP is connecting and talking with the Classic then...

Is the MNGP simply showing  "RESTING"  then ?   Showing the proper battery and PV input voltage ?

If so, then you might just want to check the "Reason for Resting" which can be found in a semi-secret menu
from the main status screen...

Press and hold the LEFT ARROW and then tap the ENTER key as I remember...  A semi-cryptic screen
should show up with a number at top center....  What is that number ?  This RFR number should
give us an indication why the Classic last went to Resting from actively charging.  OR, if the number
shown is above 100, then the Classic had just reset and had not started charging yet.

The battery voltage must be below the set-point charging voltages and PV input voltage
must be greater than the battery voltage by approximately battery voltage plus 1/3 battery voltage
in order to wake up and start.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

cybermaus

No it does not show RESTING, and at 0V (zero-Volt) it is most definitely not showing correct voltages.

However, next time it happens (hopefully never) I will collect your semi-secret menu stuff.

Westbranch

Cybermaus said, Since the last reset and firmware update last Saturday

just a thought, did you also do  a VMM or Factory reset after the FW upgrade?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

cybermaus

yes, as per instruction, updated classic, updated mngp, did a full reset using left-right arrow, in that order.

boB

If the MNGP shows 0 battery volts (and everything else), it typically would also eventually show Got Comm ?

Of course, if it is talking with the Classic and the Classic is sending out 0's for status's, that would
be very weird BUT not impossible.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

cybermaus

Well, I am writing those symptoms from memory, but I really do recall seeing 0V before making it powerless to restart, on several occasions.
Lets wait and see if it happens again. (actually, I am hoping not)