Diverting Array To Pump From Classic?

Started by Ron Swanson, June 14, 2018, 10:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Swanson

I feel like this has been discussed before but I can't find anything on it.

Customer has 2 arrays and 2 Classics. 

We propose to use a physical relay to switch the input off one inverter when the batteries are full and onto a SQ Flex when they need to pump water.

Are there any problems with removing the input from one of the CCs like this?

mike90045

You will be using a relay to switch HV DC, so arc will be a problem.

Might want to use a MAKE-before-BREAK relay, so that the switching only involves a portion of the PV output instead of all of it.

Or some SSR rated for DC and properly snubbed to avoid spiking
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

FNG

I have seen this work in the past with diodes as well so the array is split between both devices, the issues are:

A- You dont want one MPPT controller (IE classic or Grundfos) back feeding the other, so diodes work
B- The Grundfos wants priority, I seem to recall this works ok as is but if the Grundfos has a way to send a contact closure or contact open on need the Classics Aux1 could be set to one of the input modes that disable it when the Aux two is active low or active high. I believe the pump controller has this function

So use diodes and use the Aux2 active low or active high function.

PM me if you need more help por clarification

ClassicCrazy

I believe these IGBT transistors are supposed to be able to handle switching high voltage .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/igbt-transistor-Semikron-SKM-400GB-123D-400A-1200V-BRAND-NEW/292553916274?hash=item441d927f72:g:nlMAAOSwjqVZE4nD

Maybe there are less expensive lower voltage versions of IGBT - I have heard of them but never used them before but sounds like they would do the job.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable