Tiny Emergency Backup system. (600W Input / 600W Output / 225ah @ 24V)

Started by ricardo, June 15, 2018, 04:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricardo

Took this project on mostly to learn.  I liked the process of figuring out how to design and then install this small off grid system.

2x300W Solarworld panels
600W 24V Samlex inverter
30A Midnite Solar Kid CC
4x T105 6V batteries for a 24V battery bank (around 225 ah).

Other midnite products used: MND-C enclosure for the DC wiring, breakers, GFP, WizBang JR, BTS

A few things worthy of note were the modifications needed to the inverter, i removed the GFI outlet, and lifted the NG bond on the inverter because I wanted the NG bond to be made in the panel.

The system currently runs landscape lighting, ebike charging, and some small computer loads (a stat logger, and a temp probe), and in the case of a prolonged outage it will recharge my Goal zero yeti 1400, which can power the house critical loads for about 16 hours. -- In the summer i think i make this work for several weeks, spring/fall i can probably go a week, and in the winter it might buy me an extra 48 hours maybe? ..

Pictures and a diagram:

ricardo

more pics

ricardo

more pics

ricardo

final set of pics

ricardo

A few upgrades i want to make sooner than later --

1 - add a fuse to the battery cable (thats on order already)
2 - add a battery disconnect switch
3 - replace the 40A breaker for the KID with a 30A breaker.

Matrix

Grid-Assist Off-Grid
REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2565w-STC 1926w-NMOT Array / Classic 150 / Conext SW 4024 Inverter
Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S  with 7' of 4/0 cable
24 volt system /  Need 3200Whs Daily
My System Install

ricardo

Quote from: Matrix on June 15, 2018, 09:20:54 PM
Looks nice.

What about a venting system for the battery box

i put 2 x 3/4" conduits leading from the top of the box ... might be inadequate ... (its what i had on hand) ..  the shed itself is vented .. the roof has a several inch gap where it meets the wall, and the box is not sealed.

ricardo

final pic,the monitoring dashboard

Westbranch

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

ClassicCrazy

Nice job !  That is a lot neater than anything I put together ever looks .  Or at least ends up looking like.
You should try to see if the 8 Gauge wire will fit in the Kid terminals - one of the techs at the energy fair I just went to said 8 will fit .

From top of  your ground rod looks like you pounded it in. I was told a trick for pushing in a ground rod and works every time for me. You take scoop of dirt out of ground, pour in some water, push in ground rod then pull it back up. The water will run down the hole, then push in ground rod  , pull up  , keep enough water in hole. I can push down an 8 foot ground rod in a few minutes that way - no pounding or very little needed unless you hit a rock I guess.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

openplanet

Very nice setup.
Any chance you could annotate the photo(s) of the DC Load Center with arrows and text describing all the connections?  This would be a great resource.  I mostly understand what all the wires are doing, but there remains a little ambiguity.
Thx!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIANk7zQ05w