Node-Red to Classic Modbus for beginners

Started by ClassicCrazy, June 21, 2018, 11:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcsarge

All, I got this running on my Pi remotely - I used ngrok to forward port 502 of the Classic out from behind the firewall that the cellular company has for my cellular modem. Worked perfectly!

Matt
Off Grid Island in Ontario Canada (Beaverstone Bay)
Primary: Classic 150 + wbjr; 3s2p HES 270watt
Winter: SolarBoost 50 MPPT (into wbjr); 2 x Sharp NE-80EJEA 80watt
Pack: 4s2p ROLLS S6-460AGM 6V for 24V pack
Inverter/Charger: Trace DR2424
Call Sign: KG4EUF

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: mcsarge on December 11, 2019, 02:14:49 PM
All, I got this running on my Pi remotely - I used ngrok to forward port 502 of the Classic out from behind the firewall that the cellular company has for my cellular modem. Worked perfectly!

Matt

Good to know that you found a way to make it work !
Will look forward to seeing what kind of graphics and data you make using Node Red.
If you would like to share your Node Red flows I would be glad to see how you put it together.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mcsarge

Oh,

I just got the basic one setup - I did not want to do it on the remote Raspberry Pi since I will not be there until April. That way if anything goes wrong, I just break the connection.  I think I am going to put a RPi on the wall (I have a touch screen I am not using) and display the system for the family when they are there.

Matt

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: mcsarge on December 13, 2019, 04:47:12 PM
Oh,

I just got the basic one setup - I did not want to do it on the remote Raspberry Pi since I will not be there until April. That way if anything goes wrong, I just break the connection.  I think I am going to put a RPi on the wall (I have a touch screen I am not using) and display the system for the family when they are there.

Matt

For that kind of local display it would be hard to beat Grahams Android Classic Monitoring App on any inexpensive android tablet.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mcsarge

Oh, that is a good idea - where can I get the app?

mcsarge

Never mind, I found it! Very cool and you are exactly right a cheap tablet on the wall will work great.

I ran it on my phone by using an SSH forward of the 502 port, but in the future when I deploy the newer Cradlepoint, I will just install the Perimeter network client on a tablet and the Software will think the Classic is on the local network.

I have been thinking about setting up an MQTT server on the Raspberry Pi on the island, and use it to publish the information gleaned from the Modbus interface. If I can do that, then I can have many copies of the app running since they will not be fighting to occupy port 502. I will just have to modify the app to subscribe to the MQTT subject...

Matt

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: mcsarge on December 14, 2019, 04:02:42 PM
Never mind, I found it! Very cool and you are exactly right a cheap tablet on the wall will work great.

I ran it on my phone by using an SSH forward of the 502 port, but in the future when I deploy the newer Cradlepoint, I will just install the Perimeter network client on a tablet and the Software will think the Classic is on the local network.

I have been thinking about setting up an MQTT server on the Raspberry Pi on the island, and use it to publish the information gleaned from the Modbus interface. If I can do that, then I can have many copies of the app running since they will not be fighting to occupy port 502. I will just have to modify the app to subscribe to the MQTT subject...

Matt

good glad you found it - available on Play Store or Graham has a link to his files on the discussion. Not sure if you are also talking about the new mqtt one that he was working on . The original just works via modbus over ip . Remember though that only one modbus over ip can connect at a time - so you can't use the Local App and Grahams at the same time. Going over serial input should not interfere with those I don't think.  I was going to play around some more with the serial input I had to Classic but discovered it won't work any more when the Classics are in FollowMe mode.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

By the way - I have been using Amazon Fire 7 inch tablets that they sell on sale for $30 . Over the years there has been a cat and mouse game of if you could hack them and root them to get rid of Amazon operating system and put in a custom Android . It has been yes because of a flaw in firmware, then the firmware got patched by Amazon and another way was found to get around that , then Amazon patched it up , but recently a much better way was found to get control of it - at least for the 5th and 7th generations of the tablets ( not sure if newest ones they are selling are different or supported now ) . If you are interested in it read about how to do it on XDA  https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/development/unlock-fire-t3899860

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mcsarge

Larry,

I am an old hand at rooting Android/Fire devices, I have had Android for many years. I will try to grab one that I can hack easily. I have some access to some old Asus Android tablets which may allow me to forego doing any rooting.

I did not know that he was working on an MQTT one, that is awesome. I will work on my Modbus to MQTT program. I am only running a single Classic, so Serial would work for me. For now, though, I can write a program that connect via TCP to the Classic and load it on one of my local Pis - since I am the only one using the Local App, it will not be hard for me to stop the service while I need to use the Local App.

Matt

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: mcsarge on December 15, 2019, 11:54:41 AM
Larry,

I am an old hand at rooting Android/Fire devices, I have had Android for many years. I will try to grab one that I can hack easily. I have some access to some old Asus Android tablets which may allow me to forego doing any rooting.

I did not know that he was working on an MQTT one, that is awesome. I will work on my Modbus to MQTT program. I am only running a single Classic, so Serial would work for me. For now, though, I can write a program that connect via TCP to the Classic and load it on one of my local Pis - since I am the only one using the Local App, it will not be hard for me to stop the service while I need to use the Local App.

Matt

Matt - take a look here
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=4464.0

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable