Min / Max Voltage Parameter

Started by Boompy, June 23, 2018, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boompy

Hi there

So I've been scratching my head on this one.

I notice there is a minimum and maximum voltage (and current) setting in the Classic.

I think these values factory default to the float and absorption voltage settings (for min and max, respectively), at least when using the Midnite Status Panel to configure the parameters.

I always assumed these voltages were 'temperature corrected'. But its occurred to me that they may not be. I can't find any reference to them in the Classic manual.

Am I correct in assuming that by leaving these voltages at the 'default' parameters, I'm going to limit my charge voltage breadth when charging in low or high temperatures. My absorption and float parameters are set for 25C. So by locking my min and max voltages to this temperature, I'm effectively eliminating my capacity for temperature correction?

Would really appreciate some feedback.

Vic

It is my strong belief that these voltages in the Limits menu,   will do as you assumed.

Particularly for those of us using Flooded batteries,   these Default Limit values  will be much too narrow,   and compromise full charging cool/cold batteries.

Believe that these Limits will NOT be compensated,   as that would negate the effect of the Limits set.

Would suggest,   setting the high Limit to a value a bit above  the highest temperature compensated voltage that you would ever want to see for the coldest temperature of the batteries that you would ever expect.

As you know,  one added value of having these Limits,   is to try to keep an Inverter from shutting down,  particularly from EQing a cold Flooded battery ...

Some batteries,   like a number of AGM brands, have recommended limits for cold battery compensation.

Many Li batteries seem to need NO compensation ...   follow any recommendations from your battery manufacturer for compensation values and limits (of course).

The low voltage Limit will also depend on the highest temperature that you would want your charged to  when warm/hot.

Do not recall seeing advice on setting voltage Limits in any of the Classic manuals.

Just my opinions,   FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

The max/min voltage limits are absolute voltage limits.  The intention is to limit max and voltage from temperature compensation for VRLA batteries.

I believe that if you raise/lower the Absorb/Float/EQ voltages beyond these limits that the limits will move along with those settings BUT that won't allow the min/max to go above/below those limits when the temperature changes above or below the reference temperature, unfortunately....  usually 25 degrees C.

The limits should probably be defaulted a bit wider but I haven't heard any complaints that I know of.  Maybe this thread counts as one ?  Don't know.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me