Classing won't wake up from resting (Classic has and will take no Firmware)

Started by santanaaviles, June 24, 2018, 01:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

santanaaviles

Go0d Day

I'm new to Midnite charge controllers, use to have Outback but changed over yesterday since I really wanted the Whizbang Jr. The Issue I'm having is that at noon with full sun out My Classic 150 went to resting. Checked the RFR at it was 36. Did the Hardware VMM and it changed to RFR 22 since the controller defaulted to 12V when my bank is 48v. Did a Software VMM and it is still resting, RFR is just 111. Input voltage is between 65 and 66. Any advice on how to get the Classic to wake up? Thanks in advance.

Vic

Hello santa..,  Welcome to the Fourm.

With the Classis Resting,  that input voltage reading of approximately  65 - 66 V,   is the PV array's Voc.

That PV voltage is too low,   for almost any 48 V  battery type.   Perhaps you are running strings of two 60-cell PVs ?

It is possible that you could harvest some power,   by changing the Classic's Mode,  to  Legacy P & O.   But,   IMO,   you really need a higher PV input voltage.

If you are seeing the noted input voltage to the Classic,   in FULL SUN,   with NO Shading of the PVs,   perhaps your PVs might need to be configured for a higher string voltage.

Here is a Link to the Classic String Sizer:
http://midnitesolar.com/sizingTool/displaySizing.php

You could tell us the string configuration of your PVs,   brand and model number for them,   and your battery type,   etc.

More later,   thanks for some added info.   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

santanaaviles

Vic

Thanks for the reply. I had 10 panels of 275w in 5 strings of 2 with a VOC of of 38.9 and lsc of 8.87A. I have changed that top 3 strings of 3 and have order to more panles. AS for the batteries, they are 8 Troajn 6v at 265Ah at C20; however, the problem has changed. Upon noticing I had an older firmware although the controller was recently made I updated said firmware and now I'm geeting a Got Comms? Message and the Jumper based VMM won't work. Tried changing the unused address to 255 as I found on an old post but nothings seems to be happening. Any input on that? IF it helps, When I go check the fw version on the MNGP it shows MGNP 01/11/2017 but nothing on the Classic.

Vic

Thanks santan...,  for the added,  if not confusing info.

First,   if you are running strings of three of those PVs,   AND,  you are seeing only about 65 volts coming into a Resting Classic,   with full, un-shaded sun,   then there may be a wiring error,   or similar (are there any other loads on the PVs?).

If the FW Version number does not show for the Classic,   then you should try reloading  it.

More later,   and thanks for the info on the batteries,   am sure that those are Flooded Lead Acid (FLA)  type,   and should do fine ...   later,   Thanks,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

santanaaviles

Upon further exploration on the forum I seem to have this issue but don't have any old firmware to go to.

http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=1687.0

Vic

Quote from: santanaaviles on June 24, 2018, 03:23:58 PM
Vic

...    Upon noticing I had an older firmware although the controller was recently made I updated said firmware and now I'm geeting a Got Comms? Message and the Jumper based VMM won't work. Tried changing the unused address to 255 as I found on an old post but nothings seems to be happening. Any input on that? IF it helps, When I go check the fw version on the MNGP it shows MGNP 01/11/2017 but nothing on the Classic.

First,  on the label on the left of the Classic case (or,   was it on the right?),  there should be a build Quarter (or month) and year,   what does this say?

Do you recall the Firmware version number that was in the Classic originally?

The most recent Classic Updater  has worked very well for most of us,   AND,   there have been very few  comments about Update issues for many months.

Here is some discussion of the newest Updater:
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=3772.msg36614#msg36614

In general,   following the Instructions for Updating Classics,  EXACTLY  is often important.

My previous comments about a possible  PV string wiring problem   should be ignored,  (as you know),  until the Classic  Update is performed successfully.

Perhaps Matt,   Kyle  of other MidNite tech folks  need to chime in,   here,   as I am incompetent ...   it has been just too long,  since updating Classic FW,   and any issues associated with it.   Matt,  Kyle,   and boB,  from MN  do often frequent this Forum  in the afternoon hours.

Many other members here know much,   much more than I,  regarding Classic Update issues.

GOOD LUCK,   Vic

santanaaviles

VIc, Thanks again for your reply.

Build Date Q2 2018 which is why it was weird but I don't recall the firmware version. AS for updating the FW, everything was done as per the instructions for Windows 10 and the process seems to work (The updater show complete) but the mngp still show no classic rev version and still get Got Comms? Thanks for your assistance.

santanaaviles

VIC I missed you second reply about the panels. I apologize if it was confusing. I had 5 strings of 2 panels when the resting issue was present. I changed it to 3 strings of 3 but could not try it due to the FW issue.

Vic

Hi santana  ..,

Yes,   it can be easy to miss new posts,   when one in logged in for long periods,   searching,   etc ...

Just re-read one of the Threads;

In one case,   I had Update issues,   using the new Updater,   but   after unplugging the Network cable,   the update worked fine.   If you have an Ethernet cable plugged into the Classic,   you could try unplugging it  and re-try the Classic Update.

Good Luck,   Vic

santanaaviles

Vic

Tried that and still, it goes trough like it updated and when I check the rev version in the menus it is still blank which according to the literature is the cause of the Got Comms? due to incompatibility between MNGP and Classic Revs. Thanks Again for your insight Vic.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: santanaaviles on June 24, 2018, 03:23:58 PM
Vic

Thanks for the reply. I had 10 panels of 275w in 5 strings of 2 with a VOC of of 38.9 and lsc of 8.87A. I have changed that top 3 strings of 3 and have order to more panles. AS for the batteries, they are 8 Troajn 6v at 265Ah at C20; however, the problem has changed. Upon noticing I had an older firmware although the controller was recently made I updated said firmware and now I'm geeting a Got Comms? Message and the Jumper based VMM won't work. Tried changing the unused address to 255 as I found on an old post but nothings seems to be happening. Any input on that? IF it helps, When I go check the fw version on the MNGP it shows MGNP 01/11/2017 but nothing on the Classic.

Did you update both the Classic firmware and the MNGP firware too ? You have to do both parts.
I would try installing  them again and see what happens

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

santanaaviles

I did, with the latest release on the site 2123 and didn't work. Im trying with 2193 right now since that is the one that's supposed to go on it accoording to the seller.

santanaaviles

MNGP version now 2154 and the fans turned on for a sec but still no CLassic FM. Is the screen on the classic supposed to change during update or does it stay normal?

Fan will turn on, Red Light will start Blinking and then the 3 colores red will go on, stay lit for a second, turn off, and repeat, after second tiem, fan will stay on but still not firmware

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: santanaaviles on June 24, 2018, 07:05:11 PM
MNGP version now 2154 and the fans turned on for a sec but still no CLassic FM. Is the screen on the classic supposed to change during update or does it stay normal?

Fan will turn on, Red Light will start Blinking and then the 3 colores red will go on, stay lit for a second, turn off, and repeat, after second tiem, fan will stay on but still not firmware

yes that is the normal startup of the Classic for the fans and LEDs as you describe.
I don't understand your question about the screen on the Classic  changing or being normal ?
Also don't understand your comment about not having firmware ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: santanaaviles on June 24, 2018, 06:45:46 PM
I did, with the latest release on the site 2123 and didn't work. Im trying with 2193 right now since that is the one that's supposed to go on it accoording to the seller.

Where did you find a firmware version 2193 ? I don't see it on the Midnite page .
I have the Beta voice firmware on mine -- it is
2154 6/26/2017 MNGP
2151 5/26/2017 Classic
as read on MNGP Classic 150 screen.

The Midnite page is listing 2126 firmware  - like I said  I have the beta voice version so that is why it is a bit newer than the 2126 version.

Larry

system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable