mnepv breaker on pv negative

Started by stever, June 25, 2018, 11:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stever

Can I use MNEPV breakers on PV negatives? I have 3 strings (80v at 9a)using a MNPV6... I'm combining the PV positives normally, through three MNEPV 15amp breakers and the 3 space busbar. I wanted to use the other 3 breaker slots the same way on the PV negatives. Each string through a MNEPV 15a and a three space busbar, to act as a disconnect on the PV negatives.

If this will work,  do you hook the PV negatives to the + on the MNEPV breakers since they are the source of greatest potential? Technically electricity goes from negative to positive anyway.

FNG

You could do this yes, Not sure why you would breaker the negatives but it would work, You would want to wire the flow in theory opposite of the positive leads, So on the positive side the PV+ goes to the + emblem annd how I would do the - side the opposite and run PV- to the opposite side of the breaker pole.

stever

It's an ungrounded PV system as I'm using Victron Charge Controllers... NEC requires you (among other things) to be able to disconnect both the positive and the negative cables. I already have the MNPV6 and breakers, so I was trying to use them instead of buying a Distro box.

FNG

That will work just fine, Down stream you can use the MNEPV 300 volt breaker on 150v pv wire as a disconnect by removing the jumper also.