Cat5 connections in rapid shutdown combiner

Started by DEinME, July 14, 2018, 08:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEinME

Are the two RJ-45 jacks on the combiner's power supply board (MNPSB) for different purposes? Which one goes to the Battery Disconnect Module (MNBDM).

The birdhouse cat-5 cable is connected to the battery disconnect module. I now need to connect the cat-5 cable from the BDM into the combiner and its PSB. The cat 5 jacks on the PSB are labeled, "US" and "BH/DS". I might guess that the right one can be connected to the birdhouse, but I'm not connecting it (directly) to the birdhouse. As far as I know I don't have either a "US" or a "DS".

Instructions for both the birdhouse and the battery disconnect both mention that the RJ-45 jacks are wired identically and it doesn't matter which one is connected to other equipment. Plus the jacks on those are not labeled. Instructions for the power supply board don't say they're identical and the jacks are labeled suggesting that they really are different.

Should I connect the right jack on the PSB to the BDM and thus indirectly to the birdhouse?

Thanks.

edit for my error
The RJ-45 jacks in the birdhouse are labeled. One is labeled "IN FROM COMBINER" and the other is "OUT TO SECONDARY MNBH(S)". The instructions still say they're interchangeable. The "System Layout Diagram" in the manual shows the birdhouse connected to a BDM, not to the combiner. So the instructions don't quite match the labels inside the birdhouse.
4800W PV in 2 circuits of 96V & 50A each after the Midnight combiner. Two Midnight Classic 200. MagnaSine 4448 split phase inverter on a Midnight e-panel. 700Ah or 900Ah FLA @ 48V. Birdhouse,WBjr, etc. Replaces 16-year-old off-grid full-time 408W PV & 300W Morningstar inverter.

Doug

Hi DEinME,

I am sorry for any confusion.

The connecters are identical for communication and will function just fine either way. There are markings for Upstream (US) and Downstream (BH/DS). These are not mandatory.

The BirdHouse has it's own power supply. You can match the flow in the wiring diagram.
I write most of the manuals and appreciate the feedback.

Doug

DEinME

Thanks for your reply.  And on a Saturday too.  It has to be difficult writing about the large collection of parts offered by Midnight and the huge number of options in some parts like the Classic.

My vote would be to remove labels from all the RJ-45 jacks and highlight that they're interchangeable. But then I am not familiar enough with the products or the users to know if that would cause other problems.

Again, thanks.

4800W PV in 2 circuits of 96V & 50A each after the Midnight combiner. Two Midnight Classic 200. MagnaSine 4448 split phase inverter on a Midnight e-panel. 700Ah or 900Ah FLA @ 48V. Birdhouse,WBjr, etc. Replaces 16-year-old off-grid full-time 408W PV & 300W Morningstar inverter.