Low and Hight Cut Out Set Point

Started by Stafy, July 07, 2018, 01:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stafy

Can anyone tell me how to work out/calculate the Low and Hight Battery Cut Out Set point in the Outback Mate, for a 24V battery bank connected to the 150 Classic Outback?

Cheers.

Stafy

Sorry should have mention...I am using solar panels.

ClassicCrazy

Do you mean you are using a an Outback Mate connected to Outback inverter and using a Midnite Classic 150 charge controller ? Not quite clear in your first post so that is what I am assuming.

You would use your battery manufacturer recommendations for charge, discharge.

But you also may want to not take your batteries ever to the very bottom of their range since very deep cycling can shorten their life . Some of that would depend on the amount of batteries you have , the size of your inverter,  surge loads, and how quickly your inverter may respond to a quick surge load with a higher cut out voltage.

Personally I would set high and low for the inverter at the battery manufacturers high and low voltage thresholds. There are other settings in the inverter for charging which I would set pretty close to  the same as what you put in the Midnite Classic . Some of that depends on if you want to let the inverter charge 100% of battery ever or let the Classic finish the charging .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Robin

What type of batteries are you using? What is the nominal battery voltage?
How large is the battery bank?
Do you have a Whizbang Jr?
Do you have the regular Mate or the Mate 3?
What OutBack inverter do you have?
I figured out that you were using solar panels with your Classic OutBack.
Robin Gudgel

Stafy

Thanks very much for the replies.  Please be patient, I'm new to all this stuff : ;)

I have the Outback: VFX3024E, Model MNE175AL. Midnite Solar Classic 150-RCM.

Batteries; 12 x 2V   EnergyCell FLA (Deep cycle)....I am unable to ascertain exactly who made the batteries without dismantling the battery box (which I would rather avoid).

Mate (not Mate 3)

How would I go about confirming if I have the Whizbang Junior.

ClassicCrazy

Open up your electrical box where all the breakers are , get some good photos of the wiring , and post them on here .

Do you know how to read the set points menu on the Classic MNGP display ?  The Classic Manual will show you how to go through and read the menus. Or there might also be some video's posted about how to do that .

You have 24v system so should have something like this in the Classic for your setpoints
28.8 Absorb
27.4 Float
30.0 Equalize

You will have to look through the menu and tell us what yours is set for . Look for what the Absorb time is and also if Ending amps has any value in it.
If you press the Status button on you MNGP a few times and get to the Whizbang Junior Shunt Screen and it is filled in with info then you have the Whizbang installed. The photos you take should show a shunt in the negative lead of your wire going to the battery that has the Whizbang board attached to it.

Larry

Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

Hi Stafy,

The recommendations for setpoints  from Classic Crazy Larry,   are probably a good place to start,

BUT,   if your batteries are Outback EndrgyCell  batteries,  they are not Flooded type.   They are AGM,   and will not want a standard Equalization,

https://www.wholesalesolar.com/9890050/outback-power/batteries/outback-power-energycell-200re-12v-agm-battery

Outback should have recommendations for charge voltage settings,   and specify any temperature Limits  to be used when charging them.

On the Outback Forum,   there may be setting recommendations,   or Threads,  under the EnergyCell  Topic:

http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=44&sid=0db6828ac8ec1997121c27cb66efcca0

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Stafy

Hi Larry and Vic,

*My Absorb rate was 30v I have reset it to 28.8v  / Charger limit is 9.0 aac
*Float was 27v have reset to 27.4v
*Equalizer was already set to 30v

I have attached a photo of the status screen of the Classic; and my understanding is that we have a Whizbang board attached.

Thanks everyone for your input.

ClassicCrazy

Your Whizbang screen seems to indicate you have no whizbang on your system

As Vic mentioned if you have AGM or gell battery you do not want to have that high of Equalize or perhaps not any equalize cycle.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

Quote from: Stafy on July 13, 2018, 11:38:09 PM
Hi Larry and Vic,

*My Absorb rate was 30v I have reset it to 28.8v  / Charger limit is 9.0 aac
*Float was 27v have reset to 27.4v

*Equalizer was already set to 30v

I have attached a photo of the status screen of the Classic; and my understanding is that we have a Whizbang board attached.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Hi Stafy,

Thanks for the added info.

Larry is correct,   that pic of the display shows that there is NO WbJr.

Make sure that the Aux2 is setup for WbJr.

Here are the instructions for WbJr Setup:
http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/Whizbang_manual.pdf

Check the WbJr  Setup,   step-by-step.

EDIT to add:  Also check that the purple wire from the WbJr circuit board  is in the correct position of the connector,   and that the  bare end (uninsulated portion) of the wire is all that is in the connector  --  meaning that the connector is making contact with the wire's conductor).

Good Luck,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

ClassicCrazy

First check that the system even has a shunt and Whizbang installed

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on July 14, 2018, 05:56:36 PM
First check that the system even has a shunt and Whizbang installed
Larry

That IS a very good point,   Larry!

Vic

Stafy

Hi Guys,
thanks for that...I watched a video on the Whizzbang Junior as I wanted to know what it does and why I need it.

It seems; its pretty important...Lol ...I will look into my system and check.
Thanks for the link... so I can purchase it.

Again many thanks for your insightful input... much humbled, and happy by your knowledge.

Regards Paul.

Stafy

Hi Larry and Vic,

Attached photo of Outback. It appears I don't have the shunt or Whizbang jr.

I have already set our system up; and it appears to be running fine. If the only purpose of the WHizbang is for more information then I don't see a need for it.

Can you explain why I should install one?

Thanks Paul.

Stafy

Batteries: 12 x 2v Energycell 1400 FLA

*Absorb time -1 hr
*Float time -1 hr
*Not sure yet how to find the ending Amps?
*Also if I fit the Whizbang is there a software download for Mac, as I see only windows available.

Thanks again Paul