Magnum inverter & GFCI / AFCI

Started by DEinME, July 11, 2018, 07:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEinME

My curiosity about this inverter is killing me. I can test once the batteries arrive but I haven't heard a shipping date yet and I ordered them 2.5 weeks ago.

The manual for the MagnaSine PAE4448 inverter includes a warning:

2.3.3 Recommended Ground Fault Circuit Interruption (GFCI) Breakers
In compliance with UL standards, Sensata has tested some GFCIs to ensure they function properly
when connected to the inverter’s AC output. See WARNING below.

WARNING: Risk of electric shock. Use only the following GFCIs [receptacle(s) or circuit
breaker(s)]: Leviton #8899-A, N7899, GFNT1 and GNNT2. Other types may fail to
operate properly when connected to this inverter.

NEC now requires GFCI plus AFCI for circuits to most rooms of a residence and none of the listed devices provides AF protection.  Magnum tech support suggested that the problem was nuisance trips or failure to reset.

I can find only a single online mention of nuisance trips with a Magnum and it was really an oversensitive GFCI device. (On AW&S forum.)

Has anyone had trouble with GFCI breakers or outlets connected to a Magnum split-phase inverter? Experience with combined GFCI / AFCI breakers or outlets? The main panel at the new place is Square D plug-on-neutral and I wanted all GFCI and AFCI in the panel so if the first outlet in a circuit ends up behind furniture resetting would not mean moving furniture. I have a single AFCI / GFCI breaker to test once the batteries arrive.

Is this a real problem?

Thanks for any help.
4800W PV in 2 circuits of 96V & 50A each after the Midnight combiner. Two Midnight Classic 200. MagnaSine 4448 split phase inverter on a Midnight e-panel. 700Ah or 900Ah FLA @ 48V. Birdhouse,WBjr, etc. Replaces 16-year-old off-grid full-time 408W PV & 300W Morningstar inverter.

Robin

UL requires manufacturers to test GFCI devices and list them in the manual. If they didn't test one, they have to say there may be a problem. This is a throw back from modified sinewave days. I seriously doubt there are any problems with any modern sinewave inverters.
Robin Gudgel

DEinME

4800W PV in 2 circuits of 96V & 50A each after the Midnight combiner. Two Midnight Classic 200. MagnaSine 4448 split phase inverter on a Midnight e-panel. 700Ah or 900Ah FLA @ 48V. Birdhouse,WBjr, etc. Replaces 16-year-old off-grid full-time 408W PV & 300W Morningstar inverter.

DEinME

Quote from: Robin on July 11, 2018, 08:54:25 PM
UL requires manufacturers to test GFCI devices and list them in the manual. If they didn't test one, they have to say there may be a problem. This is a throw back from modified sinewave days. I seriously doubt there are any problems with any modern sinewave inverters.
As you predicted there is no problem.

It's been a couple weeks and I've installed both 15A and 20A breakers. They're all Square-D Homeline Plug-on-neutral breakers. And they work just fine.

I wonder why Magnum tech support couldn't have explained that it's a required warning and not necessarily a problem

Again, thanks.

boB

Quote from: DEinME on August 23, 2018, 05:13:57 PM

I wonder why Magnum tech support couldn't have explained that it's a required warning and not necessarily a problem

Again, thanks.

Most likely because some of the old-timers probably remember but the new timers may not have been asked or entitled with that bit of old knowledge.

You may or may not get an old wise one when you call Magnum.  I bet that Tony Boatwright there would remember.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Gcortes

I have had issues with a GFCI outlet tripping. Without any loads, it trips. It can stay powered for about a half hour before it trips. It's on a panel not hooked up to the main panel either (off grid).

Contacted tech support, responded that

We have found these GFCI’s work the best.

Hubbell mfg. :

GFRST20xx          20 A

GFRST15xx          15 A

xx is color (BK, BR, W etc.)

Could not find anything else posted about this, so I figured I would update. Will update once again when I have any new info.

Gcortes

Update:

Installed a Leviton N7889; hasn't shut off since installing. This is one of the models listed in the manual.

Apparently, it's more of a problem than was believed. I wonder if I am the only one.