Classic 200SL on a charging rollercoaster.

Started by deserthorizons, August 11, 2018, 03:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bee88man

Be sure new setting is saved before exiting that screen.

This being on a mobile RV, are you parked with the mounted array facing due south, or just by best quess orientation toward south?
It makes a big difference plus your may have to often change postions if you travel.

deserthorizons

Quote from: bee88man on August 14, 2018, 10:35:03 AM
Be sure new setting is saved before exiting that screen.

This being on a mobile RV, are you parked with the mounted array facing due south, or just by best quess orientation toward south?
It makes a big difference plus your may have to often change postions if you travel.

Not saving it properly may have caused a problem,, don't know,, but the fact that it did it for over a week unless I "quick set" reset it,, I figure I would have "saved" it properly at least one of those days..

The "orientation" does make a huge difference in how much energy is produced by the panels, yes..
However, that is not going to make the CC go on a rollercoaster charging ride at noon on a day with no clouds..
btw, this mobile RV has not moved since I installed the system in April..

This is acting like a short circuit in the CC, only because of it's intermittent nature..
If it does it again I will try "Legacy" mode,, but now it is on it's 3rd day of working properly..
It worked flawlessly for over 3 months as I am always watching the CC..
Originally I thought the problem was clouds, until I was outside one day and there was
not a cloud in the sky.. I walked back inside and it was doing it..
I am not worried about Midnite standing behind their product if it turns out to
be a problem with the CC..

bee88man

Have you revisited every connection and attempted to re-tighten all...your symptoms sure sound of a dirty and/or loose connection...it only takes one and replacing the CC can still leave this unfixed.
High strand-count cables, like welding cables can 'creep' after initial tightening and make a loose and high resistance connection...and even more than one connection in the same circuit. So very important to revisit before suspecting componets themselves as suspect.

deserthorizons

well,, it did it again yesterday afternoon..
So I put it in "Legacy" mode and now just waiting to see if it happens again..

For those that think this is a loose connection:
WHY would changing settings on the CC make it stop.?
WHY would doing a "quick set" reset make it stop.?
for 3 days of full sun and full charge.?

I have checked all connections and they are all good..

FNG

If you email me ryan@midnitesolar.com I am happy to do an RMA and get you fixed up, As i mentioned earlier I believe you have a hardware issue and not one that we can solve on the forum.

Vic

Quote from: deserthorizons on August 15, 2018, 02:54:51 PM

...   For those that think this is a loose connection:
WHY would changing settings on the CC make it stop.?
WHY would doing a "quick set" reset make it stop.?
for 3 days of full sun and full charge.?

I have checked all connections and they are all good..

Hello desert..,

May I just add,   that almost all of us here are just fellow Enthusiast Forum members,   trying our very best to  understand the situation as reported by someone asking for help.   There is never enough information,   so,   quite often,   we begin asking questions,   and guessing,  a bit.

This can be somewhat frustrating for many involved.

Please try to understand that we ARE just trying to help,  in an imperfect world,  where there never seems to be enough data/information,   based on the observations from afar.

Thanks!    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

deserthorizons

Yeah, and I really do appreciate any and all help offered.. I am sorry if I came across otherwise..
I was just adding emphasis, not screaming.. my bad..
and it was because of forum members such as yourself was why I joined the forum even before I purchased to
see about any potential problems.. The only "recurring" theme I found was that Midnite builds a quality product
and stands behind their product..
so I bought one.. I in NO way want to do a change out (RMA),, this is not a ploy for that..
I would much rather find an easier solution..

I put it in Legacy yesterday so I am waiting to see if the problem recurs..
may take a few days again,,but I got lots of time..

I was really kinda hoping that someone else had had a similar problem and it was because
of operator error..

deserthorizons

UPDATE:
I put it in Legacy mode on Aug 15th.. It has worked perfect ever since.. No more rollercoaster.. yay..

Ryan (from Midnite Solar) sent out a new Classic CC for an RMA ..
It has taken until today (Sept 7th) to get all the parts (branch connectors and cables) to do the changeout..
........ living off grid means everything takes much more time..........
So now I have rewired the solar panels (2 strings) and hooked up the new CC..
It went much easier than I have been imagining for the last 3 weeks.. :)

Big Shoutout to Midnite Solar and Ryan for their help in getting this  problem resolved.!!!

I am so very glad I went with Midnite and their team as they seem to care about their customers..