Voltage drop, low charge power

Started by Jose Miranda, September 04, 2018, 10:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Jose Miranda on September 23, 2018, 04:59:42 PM
By the way, it's 5 PM here... Almost no sun. But still goes from 56 to 72V.

When the sun goes down good time to check all the connections mentioned above. Turn off all the breakers  to PV and battery ,  use a good screwdriver ( insulated is best but if you are careful or tape up the metal sides on the screwdriver for safety is okay )  - be careful not to short across any two wires . Tighten all the screw connections you can see - if you find some kind of loose on the PV breakers or combiner -- that is probably your problem.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Will need to check tomorrow during the day I think...

Did the power go up any ?  With bad connections, SOLAR mode will probably find the MPP Voltage at the lower voltage like you had
before and Legacy P&O may rise some but still won't get very good performance.

Check connections now or wait to tomorrow if you can.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Jose Miranda

I just checked the connections and the voltages at the combiner. Everything was OK. Voltage was 89V but there is no sun at all...
Jose

Classic 150, Schneider SW4048, Combox, Raspberry Pi 4.

Jose Miranda

Also opened the E Panel and checked all the cables. Everything is tight and in the right place...
Jose

boB

How many watts is your PV array rating ?

Could check short circuit current during full sun....  OR maybe better, connect the positive PV wire directly to the battery positive (or + bus) and measure the current. 

If it measures a LOT more than you saw today with the Classic, then something might be up with the Classic.  I would not expect or understand that last scenario though.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Jose Miranda

I will do this tomorrow. I am going to have to do this on each line, because my multimeter can do only 10A.
Jose

Jose Miranda

I had to go check the Classic because it as making an alarm sound. Like an ambulance siren! What is that??? I could no find the manual or anywhere else in the internet.
Jose

Westbranch

This is the DOCUMENTS page  http://www.midnitesolar.com/documentIndex.php

You will find the link, if you click on in the UPPER right of the page that you post from, under the BOLD 'NEWS'
look in the list in the link and you will see ''Classic' there you will find another link to several versions of the Classic manuals '

hth...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

boB

Quote from: Jose Miranda on September 24, 2018, 07:21:07 PM
I had to go check the Classic because it as making an alarm sound. Like an ambulance siren! What is that??? I could no find the manual or anywhere else in the internet.

Not sure why it was doing that. It can happen with an Arc Fault or ground fault.  I have hear it very rarely, make a beep sound but would be short lived.

Did you catch it in the act and find out what it was ?

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Jose Miranda

Quote from: Westbranch on September 25, 2018, 12:26:49 AM
This is the DOCUMENTS page  http://www.midnitesolar.com/documentIndex.php

You will find the link, if you click on in the UPPER right of the page that you post from, under the BOLD 'NEWS'
look in the list in the link and you will see ''Classic' there you will find another link to several versions of the Classic manuals '

hth...

Thanks. But I did find the manual. What I could not find was any mention of alarms or sound codes.
Jose

Jose Miranda

Quote from: boB on September 25, 2018, 12:53:27 AM
Quote from: Jose Miranda on September 24, 2018, 07:21:07 PM

Not sure why it was doing that. It can happen with an Arc Fault or ground fault.  I have hear it very rarely, make a beep sound but would be short lived.

Did you catch it in the act and find out what it was ?

I did catch it in the act, I think... But there was nothing in the screen. Just the normal text.
Jose

ClassicCrazy

If you have the Classic with Voice features and Chatty Cathy on the  Classic will randomly make all different kinds of sound effects or voices when it changes state . The siren is one of them. It has made me jump a couple times !

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Jose Miranda

It has spoken to me a couple of times, in a soft voice... But this one was scarry!
Jose

ClassicCrazy

if you have the voice feature activated  and Chatty Cathy is what I have - it will say all kinds of stuff , sound effects, etc .
And it will read off the screen of the MNGP depending which one is displayed at the time - some it doesn't read.
At least it does on mine - might depend on what voice stuff was loaded up in it  and if Midnite changed any of the files since the Beta trials which is where I got mine from.
The other day I friend walked in the door and just then it said " I have a bad feeling about this "  ha ha incredible timing .

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Jose, can you please look at the revision and date of the MNGP code ?

Just press STATUS several times until you get that information screen.

Maybe the Classic rev too but mainly the MNGP rev.

We have revised the MNGP code a time or two to help with this alarm noise issue but I thought that
it only happened when the ENTER button was pressed in the main STATUS menu.  Maybe there was
a version that had some randomness to this noise ?  I have alerted the engineer about this thread.

Thanks,
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me