Classic 150

Started by W9KJO, September 06, 2018, 12:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W9KJO

I am new to Solar Power

I have 4.8kw of panels and a Classic 150 MPPT

I have 515 AH 48 VDC forklift batteries.

Does someone know the set points I should use for such batteries.  I called the place I purchased the batteries and apparently thier forlift chargers work differently and they could not seem to give me advice.

I'll keep working on this till I find a good answer.

The batteries are Drake 12-85-13 24 volt two set in serise for 48 VDC

Thanks for any help that can be given.

Walter

Vic

Hi Walter,   Welcome to the Forum.

Generally,   Fork lift batteries use electrolyte with Specific Gravity (SG),  of about 1.285.

So,  I would start with an Absorb voltage of about 60.0 - 60.5 V.   And an EQ voltage of about 62 V.   Float voltage,   of about 54 V, for starters.

Absorb time really depends upon the Depth Of Discharge (DOD) that the battery experienced in the previous discharge.   For nominal DOD,  would start at about 2 hours,   or so.

If you have the accessory battery charge current monitor device  --  the WhizBang Jr  --  then there can be an End Amp (EA) setting that can adjust the Absorb time based on the charge current into the battery.

Until your batteries have been cycled as many as about 50-cycles,  would suggest using Timed Absorb.

You will want a good, glass Hydrometer to measure the State Of Charge (SOC)  of the batteries,   and record these in your battery Log Book.   Letter/number cells of each battery and mark with some permanent marking for future reference.

More later,   73  ES  GL with the new batter bank,    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

ClassicCrazy

Those might be rebranded batteries made by GB so you might want to search for charging specs from GB or contact them and ask.

Otherwise East Penn Deka has solar charging specs for their forklift batteries - should be similar .  But start with GB and see if those are theirs. 

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

Walter,

Did not have the time earlier,   to get the following Link.

HUP Solar One (tm, or r),   are essentially forklift batteries,   that are marketed to the Renewable Energy market segment.

Their manual is really better than the info available from most of the major forklift battery manufacturers,   for off-grid/grid interactive users:

http://hupsolar.com/pdf/HUP-Installation-Manual-Users-Manual.pdf

Their Solar One batteries have a target SG of 1.280 - 1.285.   If your battery has a different SG target,   then,   the charge voltages might need to be changed a bit.

For off-grid use,  I would be surprised it their recommended Bulk voltage (called Absorb voltage for the Classic) would be quite high enough to do the full recharge job,   but your Hydrometer will tell you that.

The Float voltage is usually referred to,   as the voltage that will just barely keep a fully-charged battery,   fully-charged.   Your Hydro will also help you find the right setting for this.

Have fun,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!