Lithium charge cutout with Classic

Started by bigal, September 11, 2018, 06:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigal

Getting ready to  deploy,  48v@200 ah  lithium battery. 32 Fortune prismatic cells, metal case , 100ah.

For protection against over voltage, solenoid disconnect seems the standard for lithium chargers.

Simple question, if I use a solenoid disconnect, will Classic tolerate a quick disconnect without damage? Charging current would be low, perhaps 10amps@48v

From reading here it seems that the Classic does not have a suitable relay contact, and the software to initiate this disconnect.

I am aware of the  whiz bang ending amps possibility but would rather not do it that way.

I have a stand-alone controller that can be configured to do the disconnect without any control by the classic.

27-235 watt Canadian panels, 2 CLASSICS,  Magnum Inverter,  Forklift Battery,  powers entire house easily.
Lots of sun here, recharge by 1 pm normally. 2 Fujitsu mini splits for summer AC.  13 solar thermal panels for heat.

ClassicCrazy

You can set high and low voltage limits in the Classic .

Not sure what other protections you have on your batteries - a BMS ? If so that should take care of your batteries.

I would use the disconnect to protect  your batteries from going too low .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

bigal

Thanks Larry,
Using high and low disconnect.

Not sure what you  mean by setting lw and hi  voltage on classic...could you explain?

Picture shows active battery balancers .. little black boxes
1 per cell or pair of cells, depending on your plan.

27-235 watt Canadian panels, 2 CLASSICS,  Magnum Inverter,  Forklift Battery,  powers entire house easily.
Lots of sun here, recharge by 1 pm normally. 2 Fujitsu mini splits for summer AC.  13 solar thermal panels for heat.

Vic

Hi bigal,

I am NOT Larry,   but when he said,  "You can set high and low voltage limits in the Classic",  am sure that he was saying,   that in the Classic Charge>Limits Menu,  there is a Low Voltage Limit,   and a High Voltage Limit setting to Limit the Classic's range of charge voltage.

IMO,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

ClassicCrazy

Yes - as Vic said that is what I meant about the voltage limits.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

What I did with my lithium was use ending amps to cut off the absorb and go to float which wouldn't charge up the batteries any longer - I have whizbang.  I was using bottom balancing so had voltage set to a point  in absorb where it couldn't fill them up all the way.
You should probably consult your battery supplier and ask them what they recommend for setpoints for you batteries.
The problem I had was things messed up for me a couple times and I did not have anything that would disconnect the batteries from everything on a low voltage point. 

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

bigal

Didn't mean to start a Lithium charging topic here. Maybe we can get back to the original question inmyfirstpost.

I'm using a charge  cut off solenoid that is controlled by
a stand alone controller.

Question is, if I use a solenoid disconnect, will Classic tolerate a quick disconnect without damage? Charging current would be low, perhaps 10amps@48v.

Alternators for example, can be damaged by being disconnected from the battery when charging.

mike90045

I suppose it depends on how the Classic generates it's internal source power, and what happens while it's running, has solar and the battery "disappears".    Will the electronics go ape ?  Will some PV power sneak into the battery side and keep the controller properly powered ? 
The engineers should know, and maybe there is a mod for "future proofing" that can address this, so that a BMS can safely halt charging from the Classic.

Or, there is worse case, the battery "disappears", the sun is shining and the Classic goes "pop".
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

bigal

Mike you stated the issue perfectly...I want to avoid POP!!

On boats , charging is often  done by engine alternator, and when lithium batteries are full and disconnected, a small lead acid  battery is left connected across the alternator to avoid damage.

Maybe something like that is necessary??

Westbranch

Al, maybe my limited electrical knowledge, but wouldn't the FLA  battery have to be disconnected while the Lithium is being charged? I am imagining that there needs to be more than a solenoid, say like an  auto transfer switch in an Inverter?

No idea if the Classic would survive a 'drop gate' solenoid driven disconnect that leaves the PV power flowing.... wouldn't it be better to shut off the PV input?  Classics tolerate that every time we do a VMM (factory reset)
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

mike90045

Quote from: Westbranch on September 12, 2018, 08:08:39 PM

No idea if the Classic would survive a 'drop gate' solenoid driven disconnect that leaves the PV power flowing.... wouldn't it be better to shut off the PV input?  Classics tolerate that every time we do a VMM (factory reset)

Yes, much better, but that is going to need a 200V DC switch, and the BMS has to activate it, not the classic.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

bigal

So I'm not really trying to reinvent this whole thing, but I would like to look at a little different twist at charging lithium's. Standard practice is to leave them connected and just make sure the voltage doesn't go too high. In off-grid application this is great since we're going to be using lots of power during the day and of course there has to be a battery connected to the PV and the inverter for this to work.

Been doing this for almost 7 years with my forklift battery. Of course it likes to be on float and there has never been any issue with overcharging.

It seems likely that I might end up with using the Wiz bang 2 and ending amps to cut the charging back. I'm not entirely happy with that because it's not foolproof. Perhaps I need to use my BMS to allow for an additional cut off, if it senses voltage too high. of course that still leaves me with the problem of how to cut off the charging entirely without cutting off the classics from the battery.

I've considered retaining my old 48 volt battery system and leaving it in parallel with the lithium's. Of course that opens up a whole new can of worms. I could use contactors and cut One battery in and another one out. Again not a very elegant solution.

I just need to be able to shut off the charging of the classic with a with a logic control or something along that order.
I'm not a programmer so that leaves me a little out in the cold from some of the folks that can do that sort of thing.

dgd

Quote from: bigal on September 11, 2018, 06:11:08 PM

Simple question, if I use a solenoid disconnect, will Classic tolerate a quick disconnect without damage? Charging current would be low, perhaps 10amps@48v

I have had battery bank disconnected from a Classic when in bulkmppt charging. No problems and the classic  continued to power an AC inverter. On another system when a battery breaker tripped the Classic again suffered no ill effects and with nowhere for output current to flow to the PV input current just dropped to near zero.
Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

bigal

Pretty interesting observations! Thanks!

When you have 5k wrapped in a lithium battery, ya gotta have some serious saftey features...

Sounds like I could have an emergency disconnect without damage to Classic.

RossW

Quote from: bigal on September 14, 2018, 11:20:50 PM
When you have 5k wrapped in a lithium battery, ya gotta have some serious saftey features...

I have 900 AH @ 52V of LFP, live entirely off-grid... have set the Classic to a maximum charge voltage of 55.5V, my inverter has LVD should volts ever get down to 2.875V/cell, but will kick in the genset at 3V/cell or 30% SoC.

Granted, it's only been a short time (March 2014), but not even looked like any hint of a problem. So far, it's superior to the AGM I had before in every regard.
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine