Got Comm? error in Remote jack

Started by David, September 13, 2018, 07:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

I kept getting Got Comm? on MNGP with no battery voltage after having the Classic disconnected from battery for a while.  Finally saw an old message posted here to try plugging it into the middle jack in Classic and that fixed it.  Why would it not work in the top jack labeled Remote?

ClassicCrazy

I don't know .
What firmware version are you using ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

KyleM

GOT COM happens anytime the MNGP can not talk to the Control board on the Classic  for any reason.

The root of the problem is almost always heat, but in this case you might have a pin that is crooked inside the top port of the control board.
I only say this because moving the cable to the middle port fixed the issue.

Kyle

David

I guess I spoke too soon.  Now it stopped working from middle jack as well and says Got Comm.  Firmware 2186 (11/29/2017).  Recently updated about a week ago with whatever was latest on website to download for Classic.

David

Tried powering off and resetting to factory defaults.  After entering defaults again screen switched to "SENDING DATA" and has codes 4136, 502 and is stuck on that screen.

David

Ok.  I now did a HARDWARE factory restore and have it back in the REMOTE jack and it is working now!

The only thing I noticed not working now is if I have Audio set to Chatty Cathy.  Tried the Test of Chatty Cathy and there was no audio.  Also turned off quiet time.  Should that be working?

ClassicCrazy

Try the hardware reset using the jumper  - says how to do it on firmware update page.
It is normal for the Sending Data  part you saw.
The hardware reset fixed a problem I had once long time ago.
Maybe ohm out the cable you are using and make sure all pins on it are okay if you still have problems.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

oh - I guess I gave good advice - ha ha - glad you got it going.

Did you upload the voice files ? Takes like three hours to do that

Look on forum for firmware voice beta topic and it tells how to do that.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Resthome

I did not reload the Voice files that had been loaded with the previous firmware version so don't know if that's an issue. But Chatty Cathy doesn't seem to be as talkative as it was with previous firmware. In general Voice seem to make less announcements with latest firmware.

IIRC you have to hit Enter or something to get the Test Voice to work.  Midnight needs to post the Voice file on the Web page and update the manual as to how Voice is suppose to work if they are going to market this..

John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

boB

Sounds like maybe a bad cable.  Factory defaults shouldn't matter in this case UNLESS maybe the modbus address gets goofed up but that can be changed without  VMM'ing to defaults.  But it doesn't hurt to do a default, either by MNGP or the jumper method.

Yeah, I'd try a new phone cable or sanity  check the pins.  You know that the power connections are working at least cuz the MNGP is lighting up I guess.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Resthome on September 14, 2018, 12:07:44 AM
I did not reload the Voice files that had been loaded with the previous firmware version so don't know if that's an issue. But Chatty Cathy doesn't seem to be as talkative as it was with previous firmware. In general Voice seem to make less announcements with latest firmware.

IIRC you have to hit Enter or something to get the Test Voice to work.  Midnight needs to post the Voice file on the Web page and update the manual as to how Voice is suppose to work if they are going to market this..

I have Chatty Cathy on with firmware version 2186 MNGP and 2193 Classic . It  does all kinds of the sound effects before some announcements - like Star Trek voices, one is a siren, other sounds and voices etc. Never know which one will come up . I think they come when it does a change of state . The quiet time is mostly respected except for when the Classic wakes up in the morning and then it will make a change of state announcement out of the quiet time slot.
For the most part I find the sound effects humorous , but that siren has made me jump a couple times until I realized where it was coming from.
I think there should be a voice setting for plain read offs and another one that is labeled humorous for those who might not want that part to be able to turn them off.
And it would be nice to have a one button mute function on the voice - I have been on the phone a couple times and had to wait till it quit talking when reading off all the items on the screen on the hourly report.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

David

Thanks for info about Chatty Cathy.  I'll wait until it is officially supported AND available to download from the regular firmware download page.