Charging with gen problem

Started by Solar noob, October 23, 2018, 08:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent0

I have a couple other ideas regarding the tripped GFCI:
1) Most portable generators have the neutral and ground connected together and can cause any GFCI in the house to trip. The Honda 2000i inverter output generator is an exception; there is no neutral/ground connection.
2) The output waveform of many small non-inverter output generators contain lots of harmonic components that can cause havoc with many items, including GFCI devices and arcfault protection.

ClassicCrazy

I also have a Honda EU 2000 generator.  If I don't control the input current with a setting on the Outback inverter it will overload .
I think there were two different issues mentioned in this topic - one was a GFI tripping in an outlet in the house, and the other was the generator getting overloaded. 

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Solar noob

I dont know how many amps the inverter is set for to charge the batteries, how do you find it ???
Magna Sine MS-PAE Series inverter/charger
Mini Magnum Panel MMP   
Midnite Classic
Rolls batteries

ClassicCrazy

Look in the manual - should show a setpoint for AC input amps from the generator  or possibly DC charging amps from the inverter.
I don't know Magnum.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Kent0

The Magnum MS-PAE inverter has a 0 to 100% setting for the charger that should be adjusted so that the charger cannot charge the batteries too fast. There is also an ac input limit that needs to be set so that the combination of charger and loads won't overload the generator. The ac input limit can't control the loads so it can't prevent the loads from overloading the generator. When you switch generators, you only need to change the ac input limit. Refer to the manual for the inverter and controller for more information.

Solar noob

lots of homework, thanks for the help !!
Mini Magnum Panel MMP   
Midnite Classic
Rolls batteries

Solar noob

just curious,is it imperative to equalize with a generator or is it just fine to equalize using your panels ???? I've watched a lot of youtube videos on the midnight classic controller but have never seen or heard mention of equalizing using a generator ??
Mini Magnum Panel MMP   
Midnite Classic
Rolls batteries

mike90045

Generally, solar is unable to Complete an EQ cycle in a day.   So you start the bulk and Absorb on your generator at 6am, and by 11, you let the PV finish the Absorb and start the EQ at noon for a couple hours

Or the lazy way of extending your absorb time for a couple days, and see if that accomplishes the same result.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Solar noob

Mini Magnum Panel MMP   
Midnite Classic
Rolls batteries