Remote mount of classic 150 display

Started by ryan.fletcher, October 22, 2018, 09:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryan.fletcher

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post, so I apologize if this has been discussed in the past.

I am having a super hard time getting a cable that will work to remote mount my classic 150 display.  I want to mount it about 10' away from where the charge controller is set up, so it is far from a long run.

I have purchased three different RJ12 6p6c (straight wired) cables from three different manufacturers and none of them work when I plug them into the display.  I have inspected them and by all appearances seem identical to the factory supplied 12" cable that comes with the classic.  I also checked the wiring positioning compared to the classic manual and they also appear the same.

I tried to seat the cables deep in the sockets in case the connection wasnt quite being made, but no luck with that. 

When I plug the display back into the short cable that was supplied with the classic - no issues what so ever.

Am I missing something here?

Its a bit disappointing because this should be a super simple task, but is the one thing that I am hung up on.

Am I the only one who thinks midnite should just ship an extension cable with the unit - maybe a basic 12' cable.  I also got a xantrex inverter and it came with an extension cable.  Simply plug it in and your good to go.

Would really appreciate peoples insights here cause I am tired of crawling into my solar box just to see how things are doing and would really like my display in my cabin.

Thanks.

FNG

My finding is that off the shelf phone cables greater than 5 feet don't work, if you make a phone cable out of a cat5 style cable you can go over 100ft easy but the cheap quality of the wire in the premade phone cables has to much voltage drop

ClassicCrazy

I don't remember if regular phone cable crosses over or not - but did  you check to make sure the wires on original cable are on the same pins as your replacement cable ?

Not sure what gauge wire I have in mine but it is telephone cable type with the 6 pin connector - probably 25 feet or so - and it work just fine with the MNGP.

But I agree , making one out of cat 5 cable will probably work better. You can get crimpers and connectors for making those pretty cheap or just get the connectors and have a local computer place put the ends on for you .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ryan.fletcher

WillEert

I positioned a second MNGP about 20' from my Classic 150.  I bought a 25' data cable for the install and had no problems. Hope this helps.

Will

(1)24 ET 185 mono, Classic 150,8x Surrette 6CS25p, 4x Magnum 4448, homecooked diversion system;(2)15 Heliene 330 mono,Classic 150;(3)2X6 Hansol345mono, 2 stand alone Hotspot ACDC12C Minisplit heat pumps.(4)15 Hanwha Q cell 400 1/2 cell, Classic 200: (5)1X6 HanwhaQcell 400 1 Hotspot minisplit ACDC18C