Posting this from my PI

Started by Halfcrazy, August 02, 2013, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

So I just hooked up my PI and with all default everything I am online and posting here. I have this PI hooked up to the TV via HDMI and have a small logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo working with it. I use it mostly for My MidNite I keep that running and can flip the TV's input to HDMI and Walla My Midnite on the big screen...

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

TomW

Ryan;

Which image did you use?

There are several. I am using  Raspbian 2013-07-26-wheezy-raspbian.img

Works "out of the box" is great.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

laszlo

Cool! Is anyone using the Pi on a wifi network, and how easy was to  set that up? Or using only ethernet for now?
4.6KW offgrid PV system, Classic 200, MX60, dual Magnum PAE 4448 inverters, Midnite combiner and disconnect boxes, e-panel,  WBJr, and 8 MN SPDs

mtdoc

Quote from: laszlo on August 09, 2013, 12:59:48 AM
Cool! Is anyone using the Pi on a wifi network, and how easy was to  set that up? Or using only ethernet for now?

Easy peasy - even for a Linux dummy like myself. I use THIS USB Wifi adapter and followed the directions in THIS book.

Array 1: Sanyo HIT225 X 8 on Wattsun tracker. Array 2: Evergreen ES-E-225 X 12 on shed roof. Midnite e-panel with Outback GVFX3648, FNDC and Classic 150 X 2. 436 AH AGMs. Honda eu2000i X 2.

Halfcrazy

Tom
I am not sure what image I am using it was preloaded on an SD card from the distributor. I did use WIFI and simply turned it on. Opened the wifi settings and set it up. Pretty cool stuff. Now I need to go install Linux on my desktop and learn how to really use it. What is everyones favorite for a desktop PC now?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

TomW

Quote from: laszlo on August 09, 2013, 12:59:48 AM

For awhile I used a Vonets WIFI adaptor. Simply set up the adaptor with their application, set static IP on the Pi and it worked. I went to wired ethernet shortly after. It was mostly a test. It is not the highest powered thing but worked satisfactorily here.

I got mine from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vonets

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

laszlo

Thanks folks  for the wifi  info on the Pi.  It's definitely cute!
4.6KW offgrid PV system, Classic 200, MX60, dual Magnum PAE 4448 inverters, Midnite combiner and disconnect boxes, e-panel,  WBJr, and 8 MN SPDs

atop8918

I've just had a chance to really play with my pi today. I hooked it up a couple weeks ago, worked right out of the box with a raspberian image I had prepared earlier.

I am now posting this using an X-forwarding session from my PC upstairs to the Pi connected direct to the router. I'm using cygwin on windows from this laptop and anyone who has a similar setup might find this post incredibly useful:

http://www.lanoiadimuu.it/2013/04/raspberry-pi-x11-forwarding-with-cygwin/

I played around with the LED driver to flick the LEDs on and off and run the heartbeat plugin for them. So far lots of fun.

Too many ideas, too little time, too much broken mymidnite. Going back to work....

-A

boB

So are you using a USB keyboard plugged into the pi and watching on your TV through the HDMI ?

How about your mouse ?  Is the USB on the pi running into a USB hub and then a USB keyboard
and the mouse and maybe other USB appliances ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

atop8918

No, the PI is downstairs. I'm using ssh to forward the X11 session to my PC up here in the office. The only thing connected to the PI is a network cable and power, I haven't even tried the other connectors yet.

I have the full desktop though and was running some of the included Python games. A bit sluggish but still fun!

I've had to turn down the resolution though, at 1400x900 the X11 session was using about 70% of the CPU.

I also installed munin which is a nice little web-based system monitoring package (I use it on all the servers in the office). It runs hot as well when doing its updating but still not too bad for a little ARM chip. I'd like to see a PI without the fancy embedded video processor in favor of a better CPU. Maybe someone will do a headless Cortex-M4 version for half the price sometime. Hmmm... I gotta go...solder something...

Here's my desktop with Xwin running in the background ssh'd to the PI:

TomW

Quote from: boB on August 15, 2013, 02:44:30 AM

So are you using a USB keyboard plugged into the pi and watching on your TV through the HDMI ?

How about your mouse ?  Is the USB on the pi running into a USB hub and then a USB keyboard
and the mouse and maybe other USB appliances ?

boB

boB;

I am not using X on my Pi(s) but have used the USB mouse>>keyboard>>Pi set up as well as the composite (RCA jack) video and HDMI video. Usually during set up. All works but the composide video is a bit coarse on the 32" tube type TV in my office. The HDMI video is very good quality. I configured the USB stick for mounting and exporting via NFS on it while using the keyboard and mouse on the other USB port.

Worked "out of the box".

I have a question for you on logging issues from an Outback Mate via serial port but will fire off a fresh thread for that later today. Be warned, its not pretty.

Just FYI.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)