Charging with gen problem

Started by Solar noob, October 23, 2018, 08:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solar noob

Was told by installer I could connect generator anytime to charge batteries so I connoted  gen while in bulk mode , it ran for a few minutes until it blew a breaker in my cottage so I shut down the generator and disconnected it , did I do something wrong ???  ( I have a midnight classic with a mini magnum panel and Magna sine inverter , 24 volt system )
Magna Sine MS-PAE Series inverter/charger
Mini Magnum Panel MMP   
Midnite Classic
Rolls batteries

ClassicCrazy

Need more info
Did it blow an AC breaker or one on the DC side ?
What size breaker blew ?
Can you look at the menu in your inverter and see what charging amps is set for ?
What size generator is it  ?
It is hard to diagnose since we can't see how this is wired up .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mike90045

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on October 23, 2018, 09:17:00 PM
Need more info
Did it blow an AC breaker or one on the DC side ?
What size breaker blew ?
Can you look at the menu in your inverter and see what charging amps is set for ?
What size generator is it  ?
It is hard to diagnose since we can't see how this is wired up .

Larry

all the same stuff I'd ask too.

I use a 3Kw genset and limit  48V charging amps via inverter, to 30A,

Usually, the inverter switches the house loads to the genset, AND then adds more load when it starts charging batteries, so it can get easy (and confusing calculating DC amps to AC Watts) to overload something
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Solar noob

it blew an AC breaker on the panel inside the cottage, ( not sure what ampsbut it was a kitchen receptacle), the generator is 3500 watts, i will check to see what the charging amps was set for when i go back to the cottage this wknd,  ps can i perform an equalization in any phase or must i wait till it is in float phase ???
Mini Magnum Panel MMP   
Midnite Classic
Rolls batteries

mike90045

Quote from: Solar noob on October 23, 2018, 10:30:17 PM
it blew an AC breaker on the panel inside the cottage, ( not sure what ampsbut it was a kitchen receptacle), the generator is 3500 watts, i will check to see what the charging amps was set for when i go back to the cottage this wknd,  ps can i perform an equalization in any phase or must i wait till it is in float phase ???

You have to wait till the battery is fully charged, before the EQ can actually begin.
You can only EQ flooded batteries, AGM & Gel have some special procedures, for a controlled
overcharge, but a "EQ "  will destroy them.

I'd give it an extended Absorb, maybe add another 20% to your standard absorb time. 
I'd start the morning with a bulk from the generator, and let the solar carry the latter half of absorb and then the EQ.  It may take a couple days to get the EQ going, if all you can use is solar.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

ClassicCrazy

Also - if everything is rated properly an wired properly  - check the connections on the breaker that blew for loose wire connection. That can make them trip - loose wire higher resistance and makes it heat up tripping breaker.  Make sure all the wire connections are tight - they can get loose over time.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Solar noob

i will check the connection but also one thing i forgot to mention, after  the breaker blew and i shut down the generator, i checked the midnight classic for fault codes and although there were none the inverter fan was on, it was plus 5 celcius outside, this seemed abnormal to me, is it ??
Mini Magnum Panel MMP   
Midnite Classic
Rolls batteries

Vic

Regarding the tripped breaker,   what was plugged into that outlet/circuit?   Was anything that was plugged into the outlet ON?

Was that outlet a GFCI ?

Thanks,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Solar noob

i asked my wife about this just to make sure (since she was the one in the cottage when it blew and i was outside) and i find out the breaker did not trip but the receptacle did, she had to push the little button in order to get it working again, there is a radio plugged into it which is on pretty much all day every day
Mini Magnum Panel MMP   
Midnite Classic
Rolls batteries

Solar noob

sorry but when she said we blew a breaker i assumed the panel breaker
Mini Magnum Panel MMP   
Midnite Classic
Rolls batteries

Vic

Quote from: Solar noob on October 24, 2018, 07:11:01 PM
i asked my wife about this just to make sure (since she was the one in the cottage when it blew and i was outside) and i find out the breaker did not trip but the receptacle did, she had to push the little button in order to get it working again, there is a radio plugged into it which is on pretty much all day every day

Hi Solar noob, Thanks for the added info.

So  it does sound like the outlet that tripped,   was a GFCI.   These outlets will trip from overload or when there is a Ground Fault.   However,   they can be sensitive to noise,  moisture,   and can just wear out.

It does sound like that outlet was not overloaded (something drawing too much current),  so  you should check that all connections on that outlet are tight, (as Classic Crazy Larry mentioned) . BUT  you need to switch off the breaker in your AC panel that protects that outlet.   Then check with your MultiMeter that the outlet is not powered.

Is your generator an Inverter type  ...   at 3500 watts,   it might not be.   Some Inverter gensets  have quite a bit of noise on the AC voltage output.   That could have caused the GFCI to trip.   Do not know for sure.

FWIW,   Vic

Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Solar noob

First i tried plugging in a 2000 watt (new this year) honda generator and after a few minutes the breaker on the generator tripped.I disconnected that and reconnected an older 3500watt generator (not sure the name till i get back up north), briggs and sratton motor i believe and on wheels. It ran for about 5min and my wife yelled out that we blew the breaker, so i shut down the generator and am now trying to find out what all i did wrong ??? even considering i wired the AC plug in wrong ( i wired it the the AC input where it says from utility or gen.
Mini Magnum Panel MMP   
Midnite Classic
Rolls batteries

ClassicCrazy

sounds like you are overloading  your generator .
Check the settings on your inverter charger setpoints and make sure that it is not more than your generator can handle.
On my Outback inverter I can set it low and then ramp it up - I have the eco setting on my Honda inverter generator and I can hear the generator ramp up as I raise the input amps on Outback inverter. When I get too high it will overload my generator and it will go out on overload ( back to idle ) . This is because my generator is not capable of handling the full charging capability that the inverter could put out.
Maybe it is something similar with yours.

Also photo of your wiring helps us look for any troubles.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Solar noob

here is how i wired the plug
Mini Magnum Panel MMP   
Midnite Classic
Rolls batteries

ClassicCrazy

How many amps is your inverter set to charge the batteries for ?
Are you overloading the generator and that is why it trips out ?

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable