watchdog WDT reset

Started by sirmoiu, November 03, 2018, 11:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirmoiu

Hi, i am having a issue with my midnite solar charge controller 150, after midnite when it resets, i have a alarm that says watchdog WDT reset,and then i loses three to four volts from my battery bank, is there a fix to this issue. Thanks

boB

You should probably call our customer service techs I think...  They should be able to fix you up.

BTW, How long has this Classic been working OK before you saw this happen ?

Your batteries' voltage will drop during the night some because there is no solar then but should start charging again in the morning as long as the Classic starts up again.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

sirmoiu

ok, i will give them a call, it has been working ok from the day i got it,about 6 years ago.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: sirmoiu on November 03, 2018, 09:46:42 PM
ok, i will give them a call, it has been working ok from the day i got it,about 6 years ago.

Have you ever updated the firmware ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on November 03, 2018, 11:43:54 PM
Quote from: sirmoiu on November 03, 2018, 09:46:42 PM

Have you ever updated the firmware ?

Larry

Yes, the latest and greatest "might" fix this one.

I am wondering how long it has gone without this error though ?  Or is it right out of the box ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

sirmoiu

yes with all the new firmware for the 150 , the firmware version on my midnite 150 at this moment is #2126, this just started happening on  2/11/2018.

boB

Quote from: sirmoiu on November 04, 2018, 04:24:07 PM
yes with all the new firmware for the 150 , the firmware version on my midnite 150 at this moment is #2126, this just started happening on  2/11/2018.

There may be newer code than 2126 that might help.  I will try to make sure this code is up on our site in the next couple of days if possible.

I just uploaded this code, build 2245.  You might give it a try....

http://bob.midniteftp.com/Classic-Code-V2245-8-20-2018_MNGP-V2197-8-7-2018.zip

Inside the zip file are the  .CTL files for the 150, 200, 250  and also the .REM file for the MNGP remote.
You shouldn't need the MNGP code though but it is there if you want.

Download and install the 2126 code from our web site and then add these files to the directory it installs the .CTL and .REM files to.

The installation program should pick these newer files over the 2126 files.

Please let us know how it works if you get it going.  If it doesn't help, then give us a call.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Bob ,
The newest posted on the Midnite site is 2193 .
Do you have  a change log for the 2245 firmware ?
And the latest MNGP I have installed is 2186  - looks like you have 2197 MNGP in what you posted
Thanks for the update firmware - maybe I will load it up tomorrow .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on November 04, 2018, 08:49:16 PM
Bob ,
The newest posted on the Midnite site is 2193 .
Do you have  a change log for the 2245 firmware ?
And the latest MNGP I have installed is 2186  - looks like you have 2197 MNGP in what you posted
Thanks for the update firmware - maybe I will load it up tomorrow .

Larry

Sure, give it a try.  So far, it's working fine at the shop.

For the MNGP changes, I can't remember a lot but one thing I think it did was to stop that annoying Siren  BEEEEP  BEEEEP when pressing ENTER.

One thing that is changed in the Classic code is the addition of a wait state in the Flash memory reading which can help processor weirdness.
HOWEVER, I don't think there is a big chance that a processor that has been going for 6 years is going to acquire an anomaly like WDT resetting but I could be wrong.

I'm hoping I'm wrong so that Sirmoiu can get back to having his batteries charged properly again.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Okay - got both of my Classics updated to 2197 MNGP and 2245 Classic
They are in Follow Me mode - just hooked them up that way last week when I added more PV.
The second Classic wouldn't update the MNGP so I opened it up to unplug the follow me cable from jack to see if that was messing it up.
Found that I messed up and had plugged the MNGP in the second jack instead of top one ! After plugging MNGP into proper jack the update went just fine.
Yes the annoying tone is gone in audio mode from pressing the buttons on MNGP ! Now we will see if it keeps the other announcements inside the quiet time hours - and if it does not play all the funny sound effects at random times like it did before. That was fun but wish there was a separate Audio mode labeled Humorous in addition to Chatty Cathy and Verbose.
I will post this in new topic in case anyone else wants to update their Classic.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

If you have the audio set to Chatty-Kathy, you will hear the funny stuff I think is how it works.

Try Verbose instead.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

sirmoiu

Bob, okay just updated my classic to 2245, tonight when it resets at 11:59, I will know if it has solved my issue, I will keep you inform, thanks for the help.

boB

Quote from: sirmoiu on November 07, 2018, 10:42:34 AM
Bob, okay just updated my classic to 2245, tonight when it resets at 11:59, I will know if it has solved my issue, I will keep you inform, thanks for the help.

OK, well the resetting at 11:59 or actually 23:59 is due to the Classic being set for Auto Restart in the TWEAKS menu. (usually)

If AutoRstrt (spelling ?) is set, then your Classic will WDT reset at midnight tonight.

Maybe THAT was your problem all along ?  Auto Restart at midnight (23:59) was in there for times when the Ethernet network would possibly stick.  The latest firmware should be much better so you may not need Auto Restart anymore. 

For those sites that require a rocket ship to reach (or maybe just a helicopter?) the mountain top to reset things, that AutoRestart might still be a good idea ?

I don't know of a "WDT ERROR" if you had mentioned that.  BUT it can reset by way of WDT from the Auto-Restart being enabled in TWEAKS.

The Classic just happens to use the WDT (Watch Dog Timer) as its means of rebooting.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

I have had the auto reset at midnight on for long time. I just turned it off on both Classics so will see how it goes. I don't even remember why it was it was turned it on years ago  - some issue . Hopefully long gone issue of the past.

Larry

system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Resthome

Quote from: sirmoiu on November 07, 2018, 10:42:34 AM

Hope you did a Factory Restore after loading the new firmware.  The AutoRST at 24:59 is only a reboot of the Classic not a Factory Restore.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA