Classic Error Code Zero

Started by daneltravieso, October 27, 2018, 06:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daneltravieso

Error code zero anyone? I found a comprehensive list of error codes - starting from error number  one! The Lite 150 is communicating with the Local App (Hallelujah!), the system voltage is 72v, the batteries are nicely around 75v and the panels are happily supplying 88v - what could be wrong?

daneltravieso

Hi again, I’m replying to my own post: cancel my request; been here before, error code 0, it’s low input voltage - despite the string sizing tool insisting I pair my panels in series (voc 52, vmp 43, sys 72v) I actually need to put three in a series to make the Lite turn on - a config that the string tool tells me will put me in permanent hypervoc. String tool appears to be wrong to me.

boB

Glad you found it !

Where did you find out what error code 0 was ?  And did you see it on the Local App on your computer ?

I can't remember what error code 0 was either.  Only thing I could think of was maybe "resting" which is also state 0 and stage 0

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Will make a comment on the system design:

With a 72 V battery (of unknown type),   and an STC Vmp of 43 V per PV,   you will often not have enough input voltage to the Classic for it to make very much power,   and could often be Resting

Good that you used the Classic String Sizer.   Here is part of one of the Notes at the bottom of the results page:

" NOTE   ...    you also have to be careful not to have the input voltage too low. Most all MPPT controllers will want to see a minimum of 130% of the actual high battery voltage. So if we have a 48v battery and it has an Equalize voltage if 62.3 volts than we would multiply that by 130% and we would need a minimum of 81 volts on the input on the hottest day of the year in order to have enough headroom for the MPPT to work".

Seems that you have chosen a very uncommon battery voltage,   and very uncommon PVs  with an unusually high Vmp.    Seems that these two uncommon factors  are getting in the way of reasonable MPPT CC performance,   IMO.

What type of battery are you using?   What is its highest voltage during charge?   Personally,   if the battery needs temperature compensation of charge voltages,  then this probably should be used when calculating a reasonable String Vmp from your PVs.

Possibly using the Legacy P&O Mode in the Classic,  you may see greater power production.

FWIW,   Thanks for any added info,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Vic

Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

daneltravieso

I actually found out about error code zero through this forum a few years back but t couldn’t remember the details so I posted again - at which point I saw how to read all my old posts and there it was - Groundhog Day! Code showed up on the Local Ap. Yes, I have a panel/system voltage mismatch from basic design error; had to have 72v for an electric propulsion system and the panel voltage didn’t get considered. Now I just happen to have this weird 72v inverter but I’m gonna change for a 48v system; as noted my current configuration neither works with two or three panel strings.
Did I blame the string sizing tool?! Now I’m just starting to understand how the Classic uses VOC and Vpm... Having a Classic CC has been a learning curve to say the least!

daneltravieso

Hey Vic! That thread link you sent was me five years ago! Cheers!

boB

Quote from: daneltravieso on October 28, 2018, 03:08:12 PM
Hey Vic! That thread link you sent was me five years ago! Cheers!

WoW !  I am so glad you have found yourself again !

What was your 72V inverter ?  BTW, I know another that has used Classics for his electric 72V canal boats.

There was also a company I think in British Columbia Canada that was doing something like this a few years ago.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Quote from: daneltravieso on October 28, 2018, 03:00:49 PM
I actually found out about error code zero through this forum a few years back but t couldn’t remember the details so I posted again - at which point I saw how to read all my old posts and there it was - Groundhog Day! Code showed up on the Local Ap. Yes, I have a panel/system voltage mismatch from basic design error; had to have 72v for an electric propulsion system and the panel voltage didn’t get considered. Now I just happen to have this weird 72v inverter but I’m gonna change for a 48v system; as noted my current configuration neither works with two or three panel strings.
Did I blame the string sizing tool?! Now I’m just starting to understand how the Classic uses VOC and Vpm... Having a Classic CC has been a learning curve to say the least!

Hi danel..,

Hopefully,   we ALL are still learning.  I sure do not know many of the ins-and-outs of this Forum interface,    and certainly,  not much about the subtleties of the many different power systems that we all have.

I had not remembered your previous Thread,   but it did pop up when we had a few moments to search your Posts.

As some defense on your Solar installer,   early versions of the Classic String Sizer did not have the Note about the minimum Vin.   It was added some years ago (but quite probably after your installer might have used it).   It looks like that same Note has the reference to small the reduction in efficiency for higher voltage versions of Classics.   It ppears to have been added fairly recently.   That Sizing Tool  just gets better,   and better!

Legacy P&O should help power production,   as was noted in that prior thread.

Anyway,   a 48 volt system should work quite well with strings of two PVs each with a 43 volt Vmp.

Good luck,   Vic