Hybrid LiFePO4 charging system

Started by SoilGuy, November 27, 2018, 04:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does anyone have experience charging LFP batteries with a wind/solar hybrid system

yes
0 (0%)
no
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

SoilGuy

I am looking into upgrading my power generating system for remote research sites in NE Indiana. I currently am using solar to wet cell batteries. We have been happy with this setup until the past 3-4 years. Winter in NE indiana is killing us with its cloudy periods lasting well into weeks on end.  I would like to upgrade to a LFP chemistry (100 Amp Battle Born) and add a Primus 40 Air 40 to the sites. All components at each site are 12V. I am concerned about the charging profile required for the battery since the turbine doesn't do a whole lot of controlling. Any thoughts??

ClassicCrazy

What are your loads ? And how high would you be planning to put up the wind generator ?
For all the expense and maintenance a wind generator needs , have you analyzed any way to make your loads more efficient and increasing battery storage capacity and PV ?
Is your battery going to be in a warm place ? Lithiums usually can't be charged below freezing.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

RossW

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on November 27, 2018, 07:01:29 PM
increasing battery storage capacity and PV ?

This. 1000x this.

For 13 years I was offgrid with AGM and PV. Even with what seemed to be "plenty" of capacity (1000AH @ 48V) of battery, I was averaging 1000 hours generator run per year.

A few years ago, I changed out all the AGM for LFP. With 900AH of LFP, (more "usable capacity" than the AGMs), and adding more PV than I can use, that has dropped to about 6hrs/year of generator run time, and most of that is a half-hour run every couple of months!

Over-paneling means even on crappy days, we generally get enough to hold our head above water, and with PV being as cheap as it is now, why wouldn't you?!
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine

ClassicCrazy

Yes Ross  - I just almost doubled my PV input and it already has noticeable effects on getting the batteries full on overcast days and cutting down generator run time - especially up here in the frozen north short days of winter.

Larry 
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

SoilGuy

Thanks everyone for the advice. I wasn't too excited about putting up 50 30' towers. The batteries will be in heated space. I guess I'm going to reassess the wiring/charge controllers and PV capacity at my sites and probably try a couple of the Battle Borns to get one right before a heavy investment.