2 Classics | Solar + Hydro | PWM Diversion on Hydro Triggering Arc Fault

Started by MystHunter, December 18, 2018, 09:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MystHunter

Have two classics networked in FollowMe, both on same latest firmware. The hydro controller is a Midnite 250, and the Solar is a 150.

Classic 250 (hydro) is doing PWM diversion (on PV High via Aux 2) to a 30Amp 12v water heating element via 100Amp Crydom SSR. This diversion SSR is connected via the battery bank 1000Amp buss bar. Battery bank voltage is nominal 12v. When hydro turbine starts to free spool (voltage goes up), diversion begins.

When turned to "manual on" and manually activating the diversion, no arc fault is tripped. Only when a PWM diversion method is selected, does the arc fault trip. I've adjusted the arc time and sensitivity to no avail.

Oddly, the arc fault is only detected by the Classic 150 (doing solar), the Classic 250 (hydro) and actually doing the PWM diversion detects no arc fault.

Any suggestions here? Just disable arc fault on the Classic 150? I've checked everything and it does not appear any visible arching is occurring anywhere in dump load, and as mentioned when using non PWM diversion method no arc fault is detected.

FNG

it sounds like the 150 is more sensitive. Do you have the serial numbers of each?

FNG

MystHunter

Classic 150 - CL22XXX
Classic 250 - CL52XXX

Both are online at mymidnite2.com

ClassicCrazy

You should edit your post and put XXX for the last three digits .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

FNG

The 150 has an older version of arc fault and was more prone to false trips, I suspect thats what you are seeing.

MystHunter

Been troubleshooting this for a while now, switching out breakers, adjusting AUX settings, etc...

Sounds like one of the only workable solutions is to disable Arc Fault on the Classic that complains or otherwise don't use any PWM diversion method on the Midnite.

Better ideas/suggestions (other than buying a new controller)?

FNG

boB

Are there any wires being shared between the solar and hydro ?  Maybe the negative ?

Probably not but had to ask...

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

MystHunter

Will reach out FNG, thanks. Let me know what exactly you need if you would please.

And solar and hydro are only connected insofar that both of their respective charge controllers are connected (via double pole DC breakers) to their respective 1000 amp Bus Bars (BlueSea 1992's) via 4 awg copper. Bus Bars connect to their respective battery positive and negatives via 4|0 awg copper. The Bus Bar Negative to the Battery Negative has a BlueSea 9003e switch in-between.

boB

Quote from: MystHunter on January 10, 2019, 02:00:27 PM
Will reach out FNG, thanks. Let me know what exactly you need if you would please.

And solar and hydro are only connected insofar that both of their respective charge controllers are connected (via double pole DC breakers) to their respective 1000 amp Bus Bars (BlueSea 1992's) via 4 awg copper. Bus Bars connect to their respective battery positive and negatives via 4|0 awg copper. The Bus Bar Negative to the Battery Negative has a BlueSea 9003e switch in-between.

OK.  That battery side sharing should be fine.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me