Classics Found in "Mode is OFF" mode

Started by Ron Swanson, January 03, 2019, 08:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Swanson

Twice now I have found classics in the Mode OFF mode when I rolled up to troubleshoot other problems.

Customers think their batteries must be bad, or that their generator runs too much.

Is there possibly a bug (or feature) that could cause the CC to go into this mode by itself?

Both installations are of people who are not used to being off grid.  But not likely to push buttons themselves, either.

Vic

Quote from: Ron Swanson on January 03, 2019, 08:46:51 PM
Twice now I have found classics in the Mode OFF mode when I rolled up to troubleshoot other problems.

Customers think their batteries must be bad, or that their generator runs too much.

Is there possibly a bug (or feature) that could cause the CC to go into this mode by itself?

Both installations are of people who are not used to being off grid.  But not likely to push buttons themselves, either.

Hi Ron,

Have never seen this situation,  have been running Classics for 8 years,     but ...

It is VERY IMPORTANT  that if anyone changes a Mode,  that Enter is pressed.   If this is not done,  at Midnite,  (with  Arst is ON),  that the the Classic  will have Mode set to OFF on the following days.   Not a bug,   and  seems consistent,   when one thinks about it.

The first time or two,  is seems easy to NOT REMEMBEER to press Enter after change any Mode.

Just my experience,   but not a Bug IMO.   FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

ClassicCrazy

Vic ,
I turned the auto reset at midnight off a month or so ago. Seems like all the bugs that we used to have that on for are now fixed in latest firmware updates. 

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

It shouldn't turn OFF unless, like was mentioned, the Classic was set to Mode OFF and then ENTER was entered without it being turned back ON and ENTER pressed again.

Here is a sanity check...

Turn the POWER to the Classic OFF and let it restart/reset.  Does it come up  ON ?  or OFF ?

If it comes up OFF, then go to the Mode menu, turn it ON and press ENTER and make sure the display says the command was saved.

Then turn the power ON  again and see if it comes up as ON.   

If it does not come up as Mode ON, then something is probably wrong with the Classic.

I don't ~think~  there is another way, other than external control, that can turn the mode OFF other than loading the wrong code to it during a software update.

I will think if there are other ways but I don't remember any off hand.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Ron Swanson

Well, I have learned one thing from you guys and that is the importance of pushing "enter" to have it write the data.

I have always done it that way but did not know what the significance was, now I do.

With the talk about cycling/resets.  Both of these locations have flaky generators and have been known to run out of battery power often.  Both are 24V.  How low would the battery voltage have to go before the Classic reset or something?

Seems unlikely because IIRC the Classic can even work on a 12V system right?  And these 24V systems would never have gone much below 22 before LBCO.

Just grasping at straws, trying to find a common theme here.

boB

The Classic should stay running down to around 5V or so but right, unless the batteries went completely flat, the Classic "shouldn't" reset.

However, the Classic has a computer in it and although it's not "Windows", it can still reset due to whatever(?) condition might cause it to do that.
Could be lightning, stray cosmic ray or alpha particle, random "glitch"  or maybe the Auto Restart was enabled. 

But if the internal nonvolatile memory (EEPROM) knows that the Mode should be ON, the Classic will come back up with the Mode in the ON mode.

BTW, if one looks at the Reason For Resting codes, RFR of 16  means that the mode was turned OFF by the user BUT that would have to be the last thing that made the Classic go to Resting because the RFR code would get overwritten be any newer reason like low light.

Please let us know what you find.  That sanity check of turning the power off and letting the Classic reset should tell the story... Hopefully...

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me