Configuration recommendation

Started by rmak, January 09, 2019, 01:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zardiw

Quote from: boB on March 27, 2019, 12:55:05 PM
Quote from: Zardiw on March 27, 2019, 09:27:05 AM

I may run a jumper from PV + and hook it directly to the battery bank Pos. Then measure the DC Amps coming from the array with a DC Amp meter, and compare that to the Amps while the Controller is 'controlling'......lol

Bottom line: This is not rocket science. Although people make it out to be.

Question: Has anybody actually added up the watts listed on their panels, and compared that to the watts being shown on the controller?......Be interesting to get some feedback on that. One would think it would be APPROXIMATELY close to the same...........i.e. I have 9 panels putting out approximately 200 watts each in high sun.....SO, I would think that the controller should also be putting out ABOUT 1800 watts.

z

Not rocket science BUT there are scientific measurements to make like the Vmp/Voc calculation and sanity check that I mentioned before.

Good deal on connecting directly to battery.  I have a feeling that you may be close to the Vmp by doing that but that will depend on how full or empty your batteries are because that voltage is going to determine if you are near the Vmp or not.

As for what people typically get out of their systems...  It varies.  Sometimes you can get the power out that the nameplate rating is and once in a great while, during cloud edge effects, you can get more power than nameplate for maybe a minute until the cloud moves.

More typically though, I see/hear about 80% of the PV nameplate power rating being harvested at full sun.

BTW, the Vmp/Voc ratio of around 80%  is only if there is NO partial array shading.  Not shadows on the array.

Does your PV modules have bypass diodes interspersed in a few places ?  Those will make some difference in partial shading harvest but with such a low Voc, that probably won't help unless the PVs are wired in series.  Partial shading and bypass diodes are one good reason for wiring PV modules in series.

boB

Thank you Bob............Shading is not an issue at all, since the array is out in the open with no trees, etc around it.

And when I built thes panels, I put 5 diodes into each panel which split it into 6 'sections' just in case some shading from a bird, or something happens........

SBR12U45LH1

Designed as bypass diodes for solar panels
ï,· Low profile height (0.75mm) and 9mm protruding leads, enabling
the package to be integrated within the solar glass panel
ï,· Selectively rated for +200°C maximum junction temperature for
high thermal reliability and excellent high temperature stability
ï,· Patented Super Barrier Rectifier technology
ï,· Ultra low forward voltage drop to minimize forward power losses
ï,· Very low reverse leakage to ensures maximum efficiency of solar
panel

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/diodes-incorporated/sbr12u45lh1-13/?qs=dZoB6MK9LKOqYJM8Ko%252bflA%3D%3D&countrycode=US&currencycode=USD

z
Faster horses, yw, ow, mm..........

boB

Quote from: Zardiw on March 29, 2019, 12:00:57 PM

Thank you Bob............Shading is not an issue at all, since the array is out in the open with no trees, etc around it.

And when I built thes panels, I put 5 diodes into each panel which split it into 6 'sections' just in case some shading from a bird, or something happens........

SBR12U45LH1

Excellent !  Those should do the job nicely if shading ever happens.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

bee88man

Z, Post us a picture of these panels, not many of us happier Midnite owner know how yours may appear.

Factory made PV are perfectly flat without deviations of reflections relative to discrepancies of individule module mountings.

Zardiw

Quote from: bee88man on March 30, 2019, 01:15:47 PM
Z, Post us a picture of these panels, not many of us happier Midnite owner know how yours may appear.

Factory made PV are perfectly flat without deviations of reflections relative to discrepancies of individule module mountings.

I've got a YT series on it all.....this one shows the array......fwiw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gGqD32d8TM

z
Faster horses, yw, ow, mm..........