KID Battery Menu Adjust Setpoints

Started by scromar, January 09, 2019, 06:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scromar

Hello,

The KID was set up a couple of years ago and running fine until a crash with an earlier firmware 17xx version, updated to V1860 in 2018. Since then I have been reading, thinking and decided to add the WBJR & shunt. I'm double checking the data entries and need help understanding what is being asked in the KID - Battery Menu, mostly from the Tcomp through Advanced section.

The more I read the forums and solar websites, the more I confuse myself with doubt and 2nd guessing how some of the info I am reading relates to my set up. I'm sure it does, I need guidance in the right direction.

I would appreciate feedback regarding my entered data and help with the Q's & ??'s.

Absorb - Time Q: 240 min unreasonable?
Tcomp - Q: Correct math?
TcompLimits - Q: Does this only apply to EQ, per this forum? Not currently using EQ, if so, still wouldn't mind the knowledge.
Advanced - End Amps Amps ?? Q: Shutting off Absorb, EQ?
- Rebulk - Volts ??  Q: Open Circuit Voltage @ SOC 50% 12.44V, 60% 12.52% (highlighted by Excide), 70% 12.6, 90%  12.77 ?

Info I found from Excide data (ED) chart online and cross referenced with forum and Midnite Solar videos helped educate me to fill in the following data points.

KID - Battery Menu:
*Absorb; Volts - 14.7 (14.7 - 14.9 ED). Time - 240 min (Limit 12 - 24hrs ED).
*Flt; Volts 13.2 (13.2 - 13.4 ED).
*EQ; Equalize - Manual/Auto - OFF (I believe EQ was not recommended ED).
*AmpLmt; Load - Amps 1A (running 1 PC fan daylight mode). Battery - Amps 30A.
*Tcomp; mV/dC/Cell - mV 6 (0.063V / Cell or 0.38V 12V battery for every 10C degrees. ED).
*TcompLimits; Min Volts - Volts ??
*Advanced; End Amps - Amps ?? - Rebulk - Volts ??

Thank you for your help.
Scott
Houseboat - 1 ReneSola 250W PV, 3 12V 115Ah parallel FLA Store Label (Excide), KID w/WBJR & Shunt, BigBabyBox 3 breakers; 60A (switch) Bat-Bank to House, 30A PV In, & 30A KID to Bat-Bank), 1 Aft & 1 Fwd fused sub-panels, 1@ DeltaVolt Pro 60A PS4 (4-bank) backup charging with AC generator.

ClassicCrazy

The temperature compensation for your batteries should be -6mv according to what you posted.
Two hours is reasonable for Absorb time but should be longer if you are using ending amps.
To figure out the ending amps go to this page
http://www.midnitehelp.com/
click on Knowledge Base tab
then down to Classic Charge controller and programming and go down to How do I figure what end amps should be ?

Basically when in absorb you will be watching for when the amps taper off and start to stay steady
You can test the Specific Gravity too to help confirm when you set up the SOC - you want to see batteries full when SOC gets to 100% .
If setting these up when using the Whizbang ( with loads on ) you want to watch the system or charging amps ( what is actually going into the battery and not into the loads).
Leave rebulk at the defaut
Is this the data sheet you were looking at ?
http://www2.exide.com/Media/files/Location%20Data/Battery%20Charging%20%26%20Storage%20Specs%20%2011_13_15.pdf

Larry 

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Westbranch

Depends where you are located ,  how much sun you are getting and if your batteries get to FLOAT on an average day.. ;)
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

scromar

Quote from: Westbranch on January 09, 2019, 09:27:24 PM

Depends where you are located ,  how much sun you are getting and if your batteries get to FLOAT on an average day.. ;)
Yes, usually plenty of sun here. This system is over designed for our day to day use, mostly June - Sept. Two weeks at the end of August our power grid tied friends visit, the system works like a champ, never dropped below 70% SOC.

Thank you for your help.
Scott
Houseboat - 1 ReneSola 250W PV, 3 12V 115Ah parallel FLA Store Label (Excide), KID w/WBJR & Shunt, BigBabyBox 3 breakers; 60A (switch) Bat-Bank to House, 30A PV In, & 30A KID to Bat-Bank), 1 Aft & 1 Fwd fused sub-panels, 1@ DeltaVolt Pro 60A PS4 (4-bank) backup charging with AC generator.

scromar

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on January 09, 2019, 07:33:47 PM
The temperature compensation for your batteries should be -6mv according to what you posted.
Two hours is reasonable for Absorb time but should be longer if you are using ending amps.
To figure out the ending amps go to this page
http://www.midnitehelp.com/
click on Knowledge Base tab
then down to Classic Charge controller and programming and go down to How do I figure what end amps should be ?

Basically when in absorb you will be watching for when the amps taper off and start to stay steady
You can test the Specific Gravity too to help confirm when you set up the SOC - you want to see batteries full when SOC gets to 100% .
If setting these up when using the Whizbang ( with loads on ) you want to watch the system or charging amps ( what is actually going into the battery and not into the loads).
Leave rebulk at the defaut
Is this the data sheet you were looking at ?
http://www2.exide.com/Media/files/Location%20Data/Battery%20Charging%20%26%20Storage%20Specs%20%2011_13_15.pdf

Larry
Larry,
I appreciate knowing about the FAQ help page End Amps.

Yes the battery chart link is the one attached to my post along with the pic of my system.

What about the TcompLimits? I think they are defaulted as Min 8.5V & Max 15V

Thank you, great info.
Scott

ClassicCrazy

You can raise the battery voltage  limits to whatever the battery specs say . I mean for my system I have absorb 28.8v but the batteries are in the cold so they get up to 30v for absorb. If I had the battery voltage limit  too low they would never be able to fill up. So as long as there isn't some battery manufacturer top voltage limit raise them up - otherwise if it was cold and you wanted to equalize you would never be able to get voltage high enough to do that. So you would want to temp comp equalize also .  If your batteries aren't out in the cold then it probably doesn't have to go as high in the top voltage limit.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

scromar

I'm running a 12v battery bank so I set the absorb 14.8v and float 13.2v to mfg. specs today after a factory reset. I wrote down the defaults so if anything looks off I know what I changed and was already defaulted.

You set your absorb up to 28 during the winter only and drop it down for summer months or leave it to the temp comp and voltage set points to reach float so the batteries don't boil out? If so, that might be a little more adjusting of the system than I would prefer. But then again I'm always tinkering and trying to better the system, hence the long winded questions. LOL My system is set up more for the summer boating season, and maybe a few sunny winter days at the marina.

Food for thought, thank you.
Scott

ClassicCrazy

for my settings divide by two to get an idea of 12v system but I have gel type sealed batteries so the settings are different than flooded.
So use your battery manufacturer recommendation range.

The temperature compensation changes the charging setpoints for absorb , float, and equalize ( if enabled) automatically .You don't have to change anything once set.

But it is good to keep an eye on things to make sure all is well  - sometimes the charge setpoints may need tweaking depending on loads, season, or age of batteries.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

scromar

I'm sorry I didn't catch knowing your system is 24v, hit the post button too fast. Settings suggested that, and I should have referenced your signature line as proof.

I think all is set for now, need to tweek the EndAmps when time and sun permit.

Thank you for your patient help, greatly appreciated.
Scott