Classic 2 slow flash behind grill

Started by DEinME, January 12, 2019, 01:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEinME

I have 2 Classic 200 controllers. Classic 1 has the fast flash of he blue LED behind the grill. Classic 2 recently went to only slow flash. I switched the 2 cables and the slow flash stayed on Classic 2, so it doesn't appear to be the cable.

I didn't find anything in the manual except a statement that it's probably the cable. I didn't turn up much with search on this site.

What's next? Software reset? Hardware reset?

Thanks.
4800W PV in 2 circuits of 96V & 50A each after the Midnight combiner. Two Midnight Classic 200. MagnaSine 4448 split phase inverter on a Midnight e-panel. 700Ah or 900Ah FLA @ 48V. Birdhouse,WBjr, etc. Replaces 16-year-old off-grid full-time 408W PV & 300W Morningstar inverter.

ClassicCrazy

Are both Classics the same firmware version ? What version ?
Do yo have them in follow me mode ?  I would think so since that is where the blue flashing  LED is from.

" All Categories » CLASSIC CHARGE CONTROLLER - Features and Programming
CLASSIC - F-ME - How do I test FOLLOW-ME?
Unplug all follow-me cables. Go to Classic #1, observe the blue LED inside at the top, slow 1 second blink? Good, now loop one of the cables from the middle jack to the bottom jack of that Classic. Observe the blue LED going from 1 second to 1/10th of a second blink. If so, cable is good, Classic is good. test all cables. Then test all Classics with a known good cable. (You did SET FOLLOWME = ON Right?)

All good then follow the diagram in the manual and reconnect all cables. Slow blink, cable is bad or Classic is defective.

You only need one BTS, put that one on a single Classic and in TWEAKS set BTS-NET = MASTER
On all other Classics set BTS-NET = FOLLOW
You should now be able to read the EXACT same Battery Temperature reported on the BTS-MASTER on ALL the BTS-FOLLOW Classics."

When you search these forums you have to search from the home page where all the topics are listed otherwise you don't get any or may results.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

DEinME

Thanks for the help.

Both are on version 2126. They are in follow mode and have been working well since installation in summer '18.

I removed the cables and plugged one cable into both the middle and bottom jacks on Classic 1. Good short flash. The other cable there produced the same result.

I then did the same test with the middle and bottom jacks on Classic 2. Slow flash.

For BTS-NET, Classic 1 is master and Classic 2 is follow. Classic 2 does not see a temperature sensor.

My difficulty with search was too many results and none that looked relevant. "Slow" is used in many posts. "Flash" is about re-flashing chips. "Communicate" . . .
4800W PV in 2 circuits of 96V & 50A each after the Midnight combiner. Two Midnight Classic 200. MagnaSine 4448 split phase inverter on a Midnight e-panel. 700Ah or 900Ah FLA @ 48V. Birdhouse,WBjr, etc. Replaces 16-year-old off-grid full-time 408W PV & 300W Morningstar inverter.

ClassicCrazy

For the battery temp sensor there is a setting you need to change in the MNGP Tweaks menu that is calle BTS-NET which I think one is set up as Master and the other Classic is set as Follow.

I never paid too much attention to how often the blue led's blink - they are out in the shed.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Do you still have at least ONE classic showing the fast quick flash with just ONE cable plugged in to each Classic ?

If so, take that same cable and swap the the end going into the bottom jack from the middle jack of the one classic
and the other end of the cable from the middle jack to the bottom jack.

The bottom jack (Master I think ?) has its conductors reversed compared to the middle and top phone jacks.  This is so a normally
reversing phone cable (like we use) will work to communicate between Classics.

That way, you know that the cable is working.  If the other classic doesn't start flashing quick/fast, then there may be something
wrong with the jack on the Classic or its associated circuitry.  That is, if both Classic's F-ME is enabled.

The setting of the BTS MASTER should not affect the fast/show flashing at least but F-ME will need to be enabled for that Classic to be able to read the next classic over.  That's how Follow-Me works...  The Classic with the flashing blue LED reads from the classic next to it through that cable.
As soon as it reads the data, the blue LED will turn off and that's why it will normally flash quickly when successful.

Remember that once in a while, the blue LED will flash slowly because the communications will some times not read but that is OK since it will usually read the next time around. But if it ALWAYS flashes slow, it means it's not reading.

You can also check the MIDDLE phone jack for functionality by temporarily plugging the MNGP remote into the middle jack.  The MNGP should power up and communicate with the Classic through that middle (slave ?) jack although the bottom two MNGP LEDs will not light up with the middle jack as it does on the top phone jack.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

DEinME

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on January 12, 2019, 05:34:53 PM
Here is a video for setting up Follow Me
https://youtu.be/CMYH_Oa00BM
I watched the video again. All the settings are correct and cables are in their correct places.

Thanks.

DEinME

Quote from: boB on January 12, 2019, 05:37:46 PM
Do you still have at least ONE classic showing the fast quick flash with just ONE cable plugged in to each Classic ?

If so, take that same cable and swap the the end going into the bottom jack from the middle jack of the one classic
and the other end of the cable from the middle jack to the bottom jack.
That's what I tried to describe in the first post of this thread. When I swapped cables, the error stayed in Classic 2 instead of moving with the cable.

Then ClassicCrazy suggested plugging each Classic into itself. I did this and Classic 1 still has short flashes with either of the cables. Classic 2 still has long flashes with either of the cables.

Quote from: boB on January 12, 2019, 05:37:46 PMThe bottom jack (Master I think ?) has its conductors reversed compared to the middle and top phone jacks.  This is so a normally
reversing phone cable (like we use) will work to communicate between Classics.

That way, you know that the cable is working.  If the other classic doesn't start flashing quick/fast, then there may be something
wrong with the jack on the Classic or its associated circuitry.  That is, if both Classic's F-ME is enabled.

The setting of the BTS MASTER should not affect the fast/show flashing at least but F-ME will need to be enabled for that Classic to be able to read the next classic over.  That's how Follow-Me works...  The Classic with the flashing blue LED reads from the classic next to it through that cable.
As soon as it reads the data, the blue LED will turn off and that's why it will normally flash quickly when successful.

Remember that once in a while, the blue LED will flash slowly because the communications will some times not read but that is OK since it will usually read the next time around. But if it ALWAYS flashes slow, it means it's not reading.

You can also check the MIDDLE phone jack for functionality by temporarily plugging the MNGP remote into the middle jack.  The MNGP should power up and communicate with the Classic through that middle (slave ?) jack although the bottom two MNGP LEDs will not light up with the middle jack as it does on the top phone jack.

boB
Follow me is ON in both classics.  Follow me has been working fine since installation last summer. I last actively watched Follow-Me work on Dec 10 when I manually initiated an equalize charge.

I only mentioned the BTS because ClassicCrazy said to check it.

Through the fall I estimate I saw about 10% slow flashes on both Classics. May rise to 20% occasionally, but I've never seen 50% slow flashes. I understand that this is normal.

I just now plugged the MNGP of classic 2 into the middle jack. The MNGP starts up normally and I can change settings with the MNGP.

So far it looks like Classic 1 works perfectly and both cables work perfectly. On Classic 2, the middle jack works with the MNGP, so it looks to me like a problem with the bottom jack on Classic 2. Or software. Or something else, but I'd need more help finding it.

Thank you for helping with this.

Edit to add: I do not consider this an emergency. Both Classics are charging OK and at this time of year in this place, that is more important to me than having the communications working perfectly. I would like to fix this eventually. Thanks.

ClassicCrazy

You said the second Classic was not seeing the battery temp sensor from the first Classic  - did you get that working ?  It has to do with the BTS settings I mentioned above.  I guess not important unless you just want to use one sensor the batteries instead of two .

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Great troubleshooting job !  Something to do with that bottom jack obviously.

Hopefully the actual circuitry for the bottom jack is OK and maybe it's just a bent or dirty contact on that bottom jack ?

You might try looking closely at that bottom jack  and see if one of the contacts looks bent.

OR might be a bad solder joint from the bottom jack to the PCB and wiggling and pressing that bottom jack in slightly might help to see if that is the problem or not.

Either way, the fix can be as simple as swapping out the control board on that bad Classic with another one.  I would call our service guys and tell them about this forum subject for reference.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

DEinME

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on January 13, 2019, 11:52:17 AM
You said the second Classic was not seeing the battery temp sensor from the first Classic  - did you get that working ?  It has to do with the BTS settings I mentioned above.  I guess not important unless you just want to use one sensor the batteries instead of two .

Larry
Is there any reason to recheck BTS on 2 if the communication is still broken?

The BTS NET has been 1 master and 2 follow. I rechecked the configuration and it's still the same.

DEinME

Quote from: boB on January 13, 2019, 12:50:31 PM

Great troubleshooting job !  Something to do with that bottom jack obviously.

Hopefully the actual circuitry for the bottom jack is OK and maybe it's just a bent or dirty contact on that bottom jack ?

You might try looking closely at that bottom jack  and see if one of the contacts looks bent.

OR might be a bad solder joint from the bottom jack to the PCB and wiggling and pressing that bottom jack in slightly might help to see if that is the problem or not.

Either way, the fix can be as simple as swapping out the control board on that bad Classic with another one.  I would call our service guys and tell them about this forum subject for reference.

boB

I looked in the bottom jack and see only the 4 wires in their slots. Everything looks good.

I pressed on the jack different directions and waited to see if there was any change. I saw only slow flashes.

I'll call or email your folks tomorrow.

Thanks.

boB

Quote from: DEinME on January 13, 2019, 02:56:12 PM

I looked in the bottom jack and see only the 4 wires in their slots. Everything looks good.

I pressed on the jack different directions and waited to see if there was any change. I saw only slow flashes.

I'll call or email your folks tomorrow.

Thanks.

Yeah...   Sounds like that will be necessary.

Good job going as far as you did though.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

FNG

Where in Maine? I might be able to fix it up for you quicker out of east coast stock

DEinME

Quote from: FNG on January 14, 2019, 08:21:38 AM
Where in Maine? I might be able to fix it up for you quicker out of east coast stock
I'm in Brooklin, Maine.

I just got organized enough to prepare to look for contact info for this. (Hey, it's morning and it's COLD.)

The serial number of that Classic 200 is CL51459.

Does your offer of east coast stock mean I don't have to look up a phone or email to request a board or file a claim or whatever I'm doing?

Thanks.