Classic 2 slow flash behind grill

Started by DEinME, January 12, 2019, 01:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FNG

I was just going to offer that I am in Corinna and would have a replacement control board if you wanted to grab it vs doing an RMA and swapping it, Either way the support crew can send you just the control board so you do not need to swap the complete classic.

Ryan

DEinME

4800W PV in 2 circuits of 96V & 50A each after the Midnight combiner. Two Midnight Classic 200. MagnaSine 4448 split phase inverter on a Midnight e-panel. 700Ah or 900Ah FLA @ 48V. Birdhouse,WBjr, etc. Replaces 16-year-old off-grid full-time 408W PV & 300W Morningstar inverter.

DEinME

I posted on a Saturday which seemed to me to resemble a weekend day, so no need to check much until Monday.

But I was wrong. By Monday afternoon I had an appointment to pick up a replacement control board a reasonable drive from here.

So now on Tuesday afternoon I have fast flashes on both Classics.

Now I just have to find that thread with hints about updating software with a Linux computer. The firmware versions are different by a lot (2126 on 1 vs. 2079 on 2).

Thanks all who helped with this.
4800W PV in 2 circuits of 96V & 50A each after the Midnight combiner. Two Midnight Classic 200. MagnaSine 4448 split phase inverter on a Midnight e-panel. 700Ah or 900Ah FLA @ 48V. Birdhouse,WBjr, etc. Replaces 16-year-old off-grid full-time 408W PV & 300W Morningstar inverter.

boB

Quote from: DEinME on January 15, 2019, 03:57:22 PM
I posted on a Saturday which seemed to me to resemble a weekend day, so no need to check much until Monday.

But I was wrong. By Monday afternoon I had an appointment to pick up a replacement control board a reasonable drive from here.

So now on Tuesday afternoon I have fast flashes on both Classics.

Now I just have to find that thread with hints about updating software with a Linux computer. The firmware versions are different by a lot (2126 on 1 vs. 2079 on 2).

Thanks all who helped with this.

YaY !!  This is great !

Upgrading with Linux I believe requires Python for the typical method, if you're fine with that.

There SHOULD be some info on that still around.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

DEinME

Not a Python user. Seemed the easy way out was to exhume an old dual-boot machine with Win 7.

And the updates went well.  Until . . .

I can't find a way to update the MNGPs. There's no USB jack and I can't find instructions for removing it although I suspect they're out there somewhere.

While searching for that bit of info, I found posts in "Classic won't wake up from resting" that suggest that I have to update the Classic with the MNGP still plugged in. You mean do the whole update procedure while standing there holding the classic cover in one hand and trying to scroll the cursor and tap here and there with the other?

EDIT TO ADD: If updating the MNGPs means updating the Classics again, then it's not happening soon.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: DEinME on January 16, 2019, 11:00:30 AM
Not a Python user. Seemed the easy way out was to exhume an old dual-boot machine with Win 7.

I can't find a way to update the MNGPs. There's no USB jack and I can't find instructions for removing it although I suspect they're out there somewhere.

While searching for that bit of info, I found posts in "Classic won't wake up from resting" that suggest that I have to update the Classic with the MNGP still plugged in. You mean do the whole update procedure while standing there holding the classic cover in one hand and trying to scroll the cursor and tap here and there with the other?

EDIT TO ADD: If updating the MNGPs means updating the Classics again, then it's not happening soon.

In the Classic update tool there are two parts of the update . The first one updates the Classic . The second one done after the first one is complete updates the MNGP.  They both use the same USB cable plugged into the Classic.  The MNGP is plugged into the Classic and gets its update via the usb cable plugged into the classic .

So if you did the update you should see two parts to it .

After doing some of the updates you often have to reset the Classic back to factory defaults. That is why it is good to save a  backup copy of your settings using the Local Status app because after the update you can then use the Local Status app to restore them . This saves having to go through all the menus on the MNGP .
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

DEinME

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on January 16, 2019, 11:10:22 AM
Quote from: DEinME on January 16, 2019, 11:00:30 AM

In the Classic update tool there are two parts of the update . The first one updates the Classic . The second one done after the first one is complete updates the MNGP.  They both use the same USB cable plugged into the Classic.  The MNGP is plugged into the Classic and gets its update via the usb cable plugged into the classic .

So if you did the update you should see two parts to it .

After doing some of the updates you often have to reset the Classic back to factory defaults. That is why it is good to save a  backup copy of your settings using the Local Status app because after the update you can then use the Local Status app to restore them . This saves having to go through all the menus on the MNGP .
Larry
The instructions say to take off the cover to get access to the USB plug. So I remove the cover, unplug the MNGP, and set the cover aside. Or should I leave the cover dangling by the phone cable?

I suspect the answer is to rig a couple of hooks hanging from the ceiling so the cover can hang there in front of the bodies of the Classics.

The instructions have zero mention of "remove the cover but don't set it aside or unplug the MNGP".

Makes me think the instructions were written by people updating Classics on a workbench instead of hanging on a wall.

I have done the reset and have re-entered all the changes and tweaks. I'm not going through this again unless there's an obvious fault between the Classics and their MNGPs.

boB

Waiting to update the MNGP is "usually" OK...  Unless there is an issue that might require newer MNGP code.  It should work, typically though.

What you do to hold the front panel up while keeping the MNGP plugged into that top jack is to use ONE of the screw that holds on the cover on in one corner...

That is, IF there is space on one side of the Classic or the other for that front panel to stay during the update.  We should have had a picture of this somewhere but I don't know if we do ?

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

DEinME

Quote from: boB on January 16, 2019, 12:39:52 PM

Waiting to update the MNGP is "usually" OK...  Unless there is an issue that might require newer MNGP code.  It should work, typically though.

What you do to hold the front panel up while keeping the MNGP plugged into that top jack is to use ONE of the screw that holds on the cover on in one corner...

That is, IF there is space on one side of the Classic or the other for that front panel to stay during the update.  We should have had a picture of this somewhere but I don't know if we do ?
That would work for one of my Classics but not the other.

I personally think the update procedure needs a statement that the MNGP should stay plugged in during the Classic update. I read that they are updated one after the other which is why, after my Classic update, I was looking for a USB jack on the MNGP.

ClassicCrazy

I just leave the  usb cable  plugged into the Classic and hanging out all the time with the classic closed ( I have a hole in MNDC  box so it can come out. )
That way whenever there is an update it is much easier . Just plug in the laptop and update .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

DEinME

Sounds like the instructions don't need any mention that the MNGP needs to stay attached.

Just let each new customer trip over the same issue.

EDIT:
Please excuse me. The first part of this was a great success. The last bit about the update is very frustrating. I get the impression that I "should have known" although that hasn't been said explicitly. I'd welcome anyone pointing out in the instructions how I should have known. If you post that here, I may not read it for a few days.

boB

DEinME,   

What instructions are you looking at ?

There used to be a text file that told what to do but it was probably incomplete as you are mentioning I think.

There is no USB jack on the MNGP because it was never implemented. The USB on the Classic passes through to the MNGP through that top phone jack and talks by way of RS-232 link.

There used to be some USB circuitry on some MNGP circuit boards but it was never used and has been removed from more recent MNGPs.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mike90045

Quote from: DEinME on January 16, 2019, 12:19:12 PM
The instructions say to take off the cover to get access to the USB plug. So I remove the cover, unplug the MNGP, and set the cover aside. Or should I leave the cover dangling by the phone cable? 

No, remove the cover, reserve 1 screw and place screw thru upper left cover hole, into chassis upper right threads. you can leave it hanging there, with 1 screw, and all cables connected and do the updates.

This has the cover offset to the right side of the chassis
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

boB

Quote from: mike90045 on January 17, 2019, 02:00:48 AM
Quote from: DEinME on January 16, 2019, 12:19:12 PM

No, remove the cover, reserve 1 screw and place screw thru upper left cover hole, into chassis upper right threads. you can leave it hanging there, with 1 screw, and all cables connected and do the updates.

This has the cover offset to the right side of the chassis

Yes.  Exactly.

OR if there is no room on the right, some other corner or maybe even upside down might work ?
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

FNG

I will look over some of the documentation, I know this comes up more than it probably should. Just saying "Update the MNGP" is confusing in itself, for most customers they wont know what the "MNGP" even is. I try to call it the display. Please do post a link to what you where following so I make sure to take a hard look