Approach to reading SOC to third party device to control I/O in smart home?

Started by ebenbayer, January 22, 2019, 12:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebenbayer

Hi,

looking for suggestions on best way to take SOC reading and interface it to my smart home (currently Smartthings via Webcore for logic handling).

Right now I'm using a z-wave I/o Device to get a "high" and "low" state (via AUX output on two separate classics) for rough diversion load handling (AC, Hot water heaters, etc) and turning off of devices.

What would be ideal is to read SOC directly from the unit to give me a bit more fidelity (and stop misfires when we get a shot of sun spiking voltage).

I'm assuming the answer is ModBus something something... any pointers on where to look or anyone do something similar?

Thank you

Eben
Offgrid;
25KW solar array
MicroHydro @ 150 ft of head w/ adaptive water sensing.
2000 AH 48 V ( Tesla Model S Battery packs in 2s1p format)
240 Gal integrated DHW / pressurized thermal storage

bee88man

Arduino in a PV Router can handle the diversion part...goggle is your friend.

ClassicCrazy

Look up the forum topic about Red Node and how to read the Classic with it . You can have Node Red do all kinds of stuff .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ebenbayer

Thanks ClassicCrazy-- thats exactly the direction I was looking for! My goal is dynamic addressing of a variety of loads (Diversion High, Diversion Low) based on SOC and that looks like pretty straightforward path.
Offgrid;
25KW solar array

ClassicCrazy

I guess  you didn't say if you are using the Classic or the Kid .
Here is what I wrote up for hooking up Classic for Red Node
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=4081.0

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ebenbayer

Thanks Larry! Thats perfect. Nice work! Can't wait to put into action. I'm using the Classic (4 units total; 3 solar, 1 devoted to our hydro) as we are totally off grid. I do have a kid on the shelf I'm looking to deploy, likely on the hydro end of the system (which is .5 miles from the house)
Offgrid;
25KW solar array

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: ebenbayer on January 23, 2019, 06:27:29 PM
Thanks Larry! Thats perfect. Nice work! Can't wait to put into action. I'm using the Classic (4 units total; 3 solar, 1 devoted to our hydro) as we are totally off grid. I do have a kid on the shelf I'm looking to deploy, likely on the hydro end of the system (which is .5 miles from the house)
I noticed that Node Red is already installed in current Raspberry Pi  operating system. I have not tried it with a Pi yet - was using it on my Windows 10  computer. But a Pi would be a nice low power controller compared to computer if it is stable enough to run long time.

Please stop back on the Node Red post I made if you get any control things running and share your code for it  ( called flows in Node Red).  I am just a beginner at that and haven't put much more time into - I should get back at it one of these days.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable