Hydro-volt hydrometers... and a refractometer question too.

Started by alyaz, February 02, 2019, 07:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alyaz

A couple questions here...

Okay, so I have two Hydro-volts that I use to ‘cross-check’ my battery readings. 

First issue is that one came with a really short piece of tubing on it, not allowing it to reach the battery acid in my ‘5000 series’ Rolls batteries.  I have been to Napa, Lordco, etc. and can not find tubing that fits properly.  I had some tubing from an ‘oil extractor’ that fit, but it has turned a milky white colour, which makes me think it isn’t compatible with the battery acid.  So, does anyone have a source for tubing for the Hydro-volt hydrometers?  I also called Midnite, knowing they sell them, but they don’t have a source either.  I haven’t been able to find a contact number for the German made Hydro-volts...

Second issue, is that I still find the Hydro-volts to be pretty finicky.  I often take four or five or six readings in each cell before I am confident that the readings are accurate.  The slightest air bubble etc makes a huge difference.

And lastly, is a good refractometer a more accurate way to test?  I understood they are time consuming, but if I am taking multiple readings with the Hydro-volt(s) maybe a refractometer wouldn’t take any longer???

Thanks.
3.3 kW solar. (1.5 kW Helios - MN Classic 150 CC; .8 kW CSun - MN Classic 150 CC; 1 kW Sharp - MN  Classic 250 CC); Magnum PAE-4024 Inverter, AGS, ARC, BMK. Whizbang Jr., Midnite Solar battery monitor, 5 Midnite SPD’s. 24V Rolls 4KS21P - 1105 a/hr FLA.  10 kW Perkins Diesel.

mike90045

With a refractometer, you have to handle the acid, put a drop on the scope, close the cover lid, like a microscope cover slip and then hold it up to your eye to read it.   If your eyes are good enough, you get the reading, then reference it against a thermal calibration chart, unless you are at 70F. Or 77F  whatever the calibration point for that model is.   
  You get the same reading every time.

Minus - you may be slurping thin electrolyte off the surface of the battery and denser stuff may be lower down,  so maybe keep a turkey baster around to stir up the juice for your sample

Cleaning the drop of acid off the glass screen to prepare for the next drop.

But it reads accurate.  And adjust per ambient temp, not the battery temp, the instant the drop of acid hits the cover glass, it changes temp to the ambient temp of your refractometer
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

alyaz

Thanks Mike.

I just ordered a Reichert one.  Guess the only way to know for sure is to have one and try it out :)

Ordered the Reichert 13940015 model.  Says for batteries, so we will see... got it for quite a bit less... fingers crossed.

https://www.reichertai.com/products/automotive-digital/digital-multi-chek-celsius/?back=Products
3.3 kW solar. (1.5 kW Helios - MN Classic 150 CC; .8 kW CSun - MN Classic 150 CC; 1 kW Sharp - MN  Classic 250 CC); Magnum PAE-4024 Inverter, AGS, ARC, BMK. Whizbang Jr., Midnite Solar battery monitor, 5 Midnite SPD’s. 24V Rolls 4KS21P - 1105 a/hr FLA.  10 kW Perkins Diesel.