DIY Tesla Battery pack // Build Updates

Started by ebenbayer, February 04, 2019, 01:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebenbayer

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning out a DIY Tesla battery pack (40kWh comprised of 8 5 kWh modules.) [edit: built, see beneath]

My current outback inverters won't cut it with a cut out voltage of 42 volts (which would be ~70% SOC on these Lion packs).

I'm considering a new build with 1 or 2 stacked https://www.altestore.com/store/inverters/off-grid-inverters/3000-to-7000-watts/magnum-energy-mspae-4448-4400-watt-48v-invertercharger-p8110/ Magnum's as they claim an input voltage of down to 36 (I won't go that low to protect packs, but need to get to 40, 38 would be nice on occasion).

Based on reading this forum and elsewhere these seem to have a good reputation.

an other inverters folks would recommend consideration? (need to get to 8 KWH eventually).

I'm of course waiting on the Midnite Inverters!!! But not sure how much longer I will put this project off.

Thanks for any suggestions.

E
Offgrid;
25KW solar array
MicroHydro @ 150 ft of head w/ adaptive water sensing.
2000 AH 48 V ( Tesla Model S Battery packs in 2s1p format)
240 Gal integrated DHW / pressurized thermal storage

ebenbayer

I'm going to proceed with a test setup. Ill try and update this thread with results since I didn't see a similar one;

BMS: Orion BMS 2
Pack: 2 Model S Tesla Battery Modules 5.2 kWh, 2s1p configuration to start (~48 V); Plan to go to 2s4p if this works well (40 kWH pack)
Inverter: Magnum Energy 48 V
Charger: Classic 200

Will use Classic for low and high voltage cut off points; BMS with back up shut off.

Offgrid;
25KW solar array

ebenbayer

Hi All,

for those interested.

I completed this install using 10 Tesla modules at 5.1 KWh each for a ~50 KWh bank (42 usable).

I ended up using a controller from evtv to interface directly with the Tesla BMS; this provides cut off in high and low voltage scenarios as a safety. 
Great kit.

of course, easy to reconfigure my existing classics to charge these units safely.

For abundance of caution, I also purchased and placed the units in a fire cabinet.

This system came in around 300$/kwh (batteries + bms).

I was able to use existing outback inverters (they will go down to 36 V via setting changes in MATE)

Overall, super pleased with system performance.

Offgrid;
25KW solar array

ZoNiE

Hi,
Where did you get the Tesla Modules? I have a Rav4 EV with a 40KWh Tesla Battery and will need to replace it someday.
Daily Driver: 2013 Toyota Rav4EV with Tesla Guts...
Solar Project:
1996 Safari Sahara Class A Motorhome with:
4X Hanhwa 280W panels
1X Midnight Classic-150
4X  Dying WallyWorld Energizer GC2's bought by the PO
1X 2,000W Heart Interface Freedom 20 Inverter/Charger
1X Onan Emerald 6300LP RV Genset

ebenbayer

Ebay as a start. Then a local scrapyard / tear down shop (~local = 2-3 hrs away).

Good luck!
Offgrid;
25KW solar array