News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

WhizBang Jr. + 3rd party monitor

Started by bldr, April 15, 2019, 07:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bldr

I was planning on using a Whizbang jr with a Classic 150, and was also thinking I needed a second dedicated battery monitor. Does that make sense or does the classic + whizbang jr do everything? I was looking at a victron bvm 7xx series monitor, but I am now wondering if is necessary.

Thoughts?

Thanks

ClassicCrazy

I have not looked up that device you listed but you will get most of the information you would want from the Classic and Whizbang . You will want to use the Midnite Local Status app  or Grahams Android Classic Monitoring app ( this one is excellent ).  You can also get a lot of graphed historical information if you have MyMidnite set up - data is sent to Midnite server for that one.  All of those are free .
The Local Status app is the only one that lets you change settings and also back them up for easy restore later after a firmware update that needs to wipe back to factory settings. All the other are just for monitoring.
There are also some opensource monitoring options .
With the Whizbang you can set up SOC state of charge which is a good estimate of remaining battery capacity . With the Whizbang you are also able to see exactly how much power is going into loads and how much is going into the battery .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

bldr

Larry, thanks for jumping right in.

The install will be in a zero connectivity environment (boat: no wifi/cell service), would that change the utility of the classic/whizbang setup?

How deep into the display/menu is battery status on the classic?

If there is a lot of digging to get to it, having a standalone battery monitor that is very few buttons might end up being best/simplest.

ClassicCrazy

I would suggest you connect your Classic to a wifi router . You should then be able to connect to the local status app on a laptop and Grahams Android app even if you don't have internet .
Either of those is well worth the extra effort for much better display and history .
Most all the info you want for Classic and Whizbang is just a few presses of the status button on the MNGP so that will work for you too . You don't need that extra monitor

Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Resthome

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on April 16, 2019, 01:15:48 AM
I would suggest you connect your Classic to a wifi router . You should then be able to connect to the local status app on a laptop and Grahams Android app even if you don't have internet .
Either of those is well worth the extra effort for much better display and history .
Most all the info you want for Classic and Whizbang is just a few presses of the status button on the MNGP so that will work for you too . You don't need that extra monitor

Larry

Yes, on what Larry said.  Just get a wireless router and connect the Classic to it. You could use Graham’s app if you have Android device. I have a laptop to look at local status app and run an android emulator for Graham’s app.

I do have a Link 10 installed also on the helm dash for comparison. Monitors that just monitor battery voltage are not that great IMHO.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Resthome on April 16, 2019, 01:29:07 AM
Quote from: ClassicCrazy on April 16, 2019, 01:15:48 AM

Larry

Yes, on what Larry said.  Just get a wireless router and connect the Classic to it. You could use Graham’s app if you have Android device. I have a laptop to look at local status app and run an android emulator for Graham’s app.

I do have a Link 10 installed also on the helm dash for comparison. Monitors that just monitor battery voltage are not that great IMHO.

John - consider getting an Amazon Kindle Fire 7 tablet and root it . Amazon has them on sale for $30 sometimes . You can wipe out all the amazon stuff and then make it into regular android .  New hack lets you do that https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/development/unlock-fire-t3899860
Takes a bit of geek work but maybe you want the fun challenge of it all .

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable