excessive array power 1.4

Started by mulligan, February 16, 2019, 08:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mulligan

Greetings all, I have a total of 6 panels [specs per panel Voc 45.5, Vmp 36.6, Isc 8.84, Imp 8.33] and need some advise as to whether my system will be adversely affected if I were to wire 3 panels in series and 2 in parallel to my classic 150 controller per the attached sizing tool results which shows excessive array power of 1.4.

FNG

So looking at your data:

1- A classic 150 will stop working and enter hyper voc at -5C, how cold does it get where you are at?
2- You are exceeding the output of the classics amperage, this will not hurt the classic at all you just wont use the array to its fullest on sunny days.

If this was my system and it was 12v I would wire the modules in strings of 2 this will allow more efficiency and also allow you to move 2 modules to a second controller in the future if you find you want the extra power or decide to expand

mulligan

Thanks for the info. My coldest day is appx 21 degrees Celsius.

mike90045

Quote from: FNG on February 16, 2019, 08:36:22 AM
If this was my system and it was 12v I would wire the modules in strings of 2 this will allow more efficiency and also allow you to move 2 modules to a second controller in the future if you find you want the extra power or decide to expand

Ditto,  running much more than 3x the battery voltage starts to loose efficiency in the conversion.  You have a few more amps to carry in the wire, and will have a 1x expense buying the next size wire.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Zardiw

Seems to me you want to go to 24V ....... 6 Panels maxing out a Classic 150 is nuts.........lol

z
Faster horses, yw, ow, mm..........