interesting video on youtube

Started by Halfcrazy, January 17, 2012, 02:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

laszlo

I'm glad I got my  SPDS's last July-- probably one of  the first batch. I will get rid of all my previous  Delta's seing this. 

Here in Texas, the Attorney General's office prosecutes fraudulant marketing claims, so if  you feel Delta  has made fraudulant claims, you should contact the AOG's office.

4.6KW offgrid PV system, Classic 200, MX60, dual Magnum PAE 4448 inverters, Midnite combiner and disconnect boxes, e-panel,  WBJr, and 8 MN SPDs

niel

do any of you guys at midnite know why the deltas would only briefly go down in the 8kv range and then pop back up to the full input voltage? seems almost like a cap charging up and it acted too fast to show it below 8.8kv on the meter.

mike90045

>  Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Love that .sig !

slick video.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

boB

Quote from: niel on January 17, 2012, 10:28:32 PM
do any of you guys at midnite know why the deltas would only briefly go down in the 8kv range and then pop back up to the full input voltage? seems almost like a cap charging up and it acted too fast to show it below 8.8kv on the meter.

Yes, I noticed that too.  Not sure exactly, but the way those are built, there is a wee bit of capacitance I wouldn't think it's nearly enough to have much effect.

Maybe the jump  has to do with the input circuitry on that high voltage meter he was using ??   I am not familiar with anything like that meter.
Was that an official electric fence meter ??

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Westbranch

there are a lot of that type of meter available for electric fence 'charger' testing, most quite 'rough for testing.  when you test, first you just want to know that it is working and then that it is not only at 1 or 2,000 volts. depends on how well trained the animal is...  bears trying to get into my Bee hive enclosure need about 5 -7ooo V to deter them, but if determined 15,000 V doesn't work. Mostly it depends on the ground connection, wet grass is best, followed by some chicken wire staked to the ground...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

boB

Can you put electric fence chargers in series ?

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Westbranch

Most inexpensive ones are AC powered, but some are battery powered and have PV charging  http://www.parmakusa.com/Fencers/solar2.htm

would sure pack a wallop eh?
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,

Halfcrazy

Quote from: niel on January 17, 2012, 10:28:32 PM

Niel
My speculation (Comes from touching the fence) is the Fencer pulses say 10kv every second. If there is no resistance to this pulse it will just stay at 10kv steady. The Delta by nature is a spark gap so when the pulse initially hits it jumps the gap and shunts for that ms but as soon as the fencer backs off the pulse stops and the voltage rises from residual voltage in the charger. Note that there is no amperage to speak of so the Delta does not stay sparked over but there is still 10kv and voltage is what breaks electronics not amperage.

Now the MidNite SPD's always act as a dead short to ground above there clamping voltage so they will continually hold anything above that voltage down to there rated clamping voltage providing a safe environment for the electronics.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

niel

thanks for the explanation ryan, now i know why the deltas are only good at such a high trigger voltage.

boB,
what would be the chance a midnite spd would work across the output of a ham radio? would the rf do anything weird to it or will impedance be skewed? power levels recommended if it would work at 3:1 or less swr?

boB

Quote from: niel on January 19, 2012, 02:41:57 PM
thanks for the explanation ryan, now i know why the deltas are only good at such a high trigger voltage.

boB,
what would be the chance a midnite spd would work across the output of a ham radio? would the rf do anything weird to it or will impedance be skewed? power levels recommended if it would work at 3:1 or less swr?

Good question, Niel.  Real good question !   I would think that about the only thing that might be bad would be capacitance maybe.

I would turn output power down and then measure SWR with the SPD connected.  Also, high SWR can mean high voltage and so
I don't know if the voltage might get high enough to trigger the MOVS or not.  Maybe at real high power and high SWR ??

I measured the capacitance once I thought of an SPD but will do it again and report back what it is.

Of course the leads will have inductance so it should resonate at some frequency but that frequency would change with SPD installation
differences.

It would really be nice to be able to use one of those SPDs on an antenna line.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

niel

maybe a smaller version would suffice to use on ham radio and less parts means less capacitance too. hmm. if you break into the ham market you can call it the midnite ham division. i meant that both seriously and jokingly.

sidequestion-
how well are you guys handling the snow?

boB

Quote from: niel on January 19, 2012, 07:21:07 PM

sidequestion-
how well are you guys handling the snow?

Midnite Ham.  I like it !

I stayed at home today and day before yesterday because of the snow.

Yesterday I went in to play with snow melting.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Westbranch