Turbine, Classic, Clipper and Diversion ?s

Started by wbuffetjr1, March 13, 2019, 01:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbuffetjr1

Moving this post here from the clipper section. This section obviously gets much more attention.

Hey folks

My site is at 10,000' in the mountains in Colorado. We get some really good wind. I have an off grid solar system in place now. 48V battery bank, Classic 200, Magnum 4448PAE inverter. This Summer I will be adding an Axial Flux turbine to the mix (15 coils, 70 turns each coil, 8.2' blade set, ~40' tower). The turbine can be setup for 24V, 48V or 64V. Trying to decide whether to run it at 48V or 64V. Any advice?

I am not an expert at this stuff. Still learning tons. I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around which classic to run the turbine with. I already own a brand new Classic 250 that I would like to use to save some money. Planning on purchasing the Midnite 4,000 watt AC clipper. Does anyone see any issues with this setup? Would the classic 200 be a better fit? I want to have plenty of headroom but I will probably set the clipper and classic up pretty conservatively. It is a remote site and long periods without someone there. I would like the turbine and electronics to have a long healthy life. This ties back to my first question. Hard for me to nail down the best combination of stator voltage and classic sizing.

Next part, in addition to powering our cabin during family visits, I currently run a 1HP pump up there for aeration in our trout lake. The 1HP pump is controlled be a timer. Spring, Summer and Fall the solar runs the pump pretty much no problems. In Winters with lots of snow, like this year, I could use some more power up there hence the Axial Flux. Winter is also when we have our best winds. I think the turbine will make a lot more power than I will need and I would rather not waste it all. I would like to set up a 1/2HP pump (for extra bonus hours of aeration) as a diversion load for the system. Only problem is the 1/2HP pump CANNOT run while the 1HP pump is running - the clipper would just have to clip. I was thinking run power to another timer to control the 1/2HP pump then have a relay between the timer and pump that could be turned on with waste not. I am sure that is a Caveman solution and you guys can suggest something far more elegant!! I currently have the whizbang running on the solar classic.

I am totally open to suggestions. Please treat me like you are talking to a ten year old child :P.

Thanks!

ClassicCrazy

Here is some detailed info about wind charger control that may help  you out .
There is an opensource project on there too.
http://www.windsine.org/

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

darrellbutton@cox.net

Fantastic article and great idea about wind turbine control.

wbuffetjr1

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: darrellbutton@cox.net on March 15, 2019, 07:23:25 AM
Fantastic article and great idea about wind turbine control.

He built it and uses it too.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable