Bonding Screw

Started by MountainMariner, April 02, 2019, 06:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainMariner

So the question is do I need to install the green bonding screw into my neutral bus bar on my AC breaker panel? Power to the AC breaker box is coming from a Samlex PST-2000 watt 12v inverter.   

tecnodave

MountalnMariner,

Welcome to the forum and hi.

You don't provide enough data but if you have a small system that does not connect to the grid, then yes neutral to ground bonding is required and that is the place to do it.

The National Electrical Code (NEC)  requires this bonding so both AC lines are not at some undetermined  voltage above ground. This is for safety!  This bond is at one place and only one place in your system. This is to prevent circulating currents.

If you are connecting to a utility company as well then about advice is not accurate for your installation.

Please advise if your situation differs from what I have described.

David

Edit for added info:  some Samlex inverters have a removable bond within the inverter, most are shipped not bonded.  This might apply only to the non-plug-in  hard wire models.  In any case only one  bond is allowed ....in the whole system....check your inverter manual.....or use an ohmmeter to check for bond. It will show near 0 ohm's if it is internally bonded
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

MountainMariner

My system is on a 480 sq ft off grid cabin in Alaska. I’ll check the inverter manual and test it. Very new to electrical so I appreciate your reply.

tecnodave

MountainMariner,

Well, hello fellow Alaskan! Born and raised in Matanauska valley! Flew  south after Fairbanks flood of 1967, got skunked! Living in coastal California now. Getting to like this Mediterranean climate here after 24 years in Alaska! Where are you located if you don't mind me asking?

Most likely that inverter is not bonded, very easy to tell!  Ohmmeter between green wire and white wire.  The white will be connected to the fatter of the two straight blades.  Do your bonding in the main panel, that is the safest place.

Old Sourdough! David
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water

MountainMariner

I live in the Talkeetna Mountains. Good neighborhood and absolutely no problems with any neighbors. Because there isn’t any. (Except bears...)

tecnodave

MountainMariner,

Neighbors are different there, when #hit hits the fan your neighbors will be there.......old Alaskan saying , keep your neighbors close, they are key to survival there! Most people in the lower 48 just don't get that! LOL!

Beautiful place.....

david