Newbie to midnite solar needs help

Started by blueskies, May 26, 2019, 05:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskies

Hello,  I received my first midnite solar classic and went thru the instructions included and website.  I used the calculator to verify the unit will support my panels before ordering.  I have used other charge controllers in the past with no problem but they were voltage specific.  I do not want to ruin the unit.  Here is the question:  If I connect the panels to the charge controller (safely with breaker and wiring completed without sunlight) - the unit will not need programming before connection???   I've never had a controller that needs programming such as choosing 12 Volt, etc.  After it is connected to the solar input it will turn on and I can choose the output voltage via the menus or wizard and the unit will not fry?  It will accept any acceptable voltage, etc from the panels and turn on?

mike90045

Almost.

Connect the charge controller (Classic) to the BATTERIES first.   It will detect the battery voltage and roughly configure itself in a couple minutes, you may need to press some buttons to accept defaults.  You will likely want to tweak some of the settings to be a proper match for your batteries.   

AFTER the controller is booted up from the batteries, then you may safely connect the PV to the controller, and it will begin operation - provided you don't exceed the voltage restrictions & the sun is out.

Generally, all versatile MPPT controllers require battery connection first to boot, and then after a minute, the solar may be connected.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

boB

If this was a new Classic, never been hooked up, then it SHOULD ask you to verify your system battery voltage  i.e. 12V, 24V, 48V  BUT it should guess it correctly unless your batteries are weird.

If it did NOT come up this way, with the first time setup screens, then we screwed up.

You can bring this screen up but turning the power OFF then ON then, when you see the MidNite Logo, press and hold down the LEFT and RIGHT arrow keys until the setup screen shows up and follow the menu.

You can connect the input at any time.  You should have a volt-meter handy if you want to verify your PV voltage first.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

blueskies

Thank you guys!!! My confidence is back.  You are most appreciated!  Also, on a less important note - I never could understand the physics about using (exaggeration here) 3 ought wire and then going thru little switches and breakers, etc.  The current can hold up over the short distance but large wires over longer distances are more critical???  Anywho - if anyone has time to explain, it would be enlightening.  Probably the wrong forum area.  Thanks again.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: blueskies on May 27, 2019, 08:13:21 AM
Thank you guys!!! My confidence is back.  You are most appreciated!  Also, on a less important note - I never could understand the physics about using (exaggeration here) 3 ought wire and then going thru little switches and breakers, etc.  The current can hold up over the short distance but large wires over longer distances are more critical???  Anywho - if anyone has time to explain, it would be enlightening.  Probably the wrong forum area.  Thanks again.

There are few things to consider when sizing wires correctly
distance
voltage
current

Larger wire has less resistance

There are charts and calculators for the resistance of wire called wire loss  calculators .
You size the breakers to the maximum rated safe power for a wire.
example
12 gauge wire is 20 amps
10 gauge is 30 amps
6 gauge wire 60 amps
For lower voltage to carry more power you need very large thick wire - like for an inverter.
My 24v  3500watt inverter is specified to have 0000 wire - or also called 4/0 

So if you have higher voltage you can use smaller wire and carry same amount of power
You need to learn Ohms  Law
Power in watts = voltage  x current ( amps )
example
12v x  1 amp = 12 watts
120 v  x 1 amp = 120 watts

So advantage to put more solar PV in series and make higher voltage is that you can use smaller wire to carry more watts with less voltage drop over distance. 

All these things are considered when you design solar system.

Not sure if this answers your questions - lots of good videos on youtube to help understand .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Yeah, 3-000   wire is a bit large for this type of stuff.  Usually anyway.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me