Magnum Daisy Chain Network Behavior

Started by Ron Swanson, April 04, 2019, 08:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Swanson

Recently had trouble with a Magnum system networking.  This system is a quite new PAE and has the BMK, AGS, and the ARC. 

The system has been working well for a year or two but when we installed an AGS, we had no splitters on hand so we had to drop the BMK (it is not used for anything anyway).  But on a recent call we brought a telephone splitter and installed it.  Since the BMK is mounted too close to the back of the E-panel, we decided to mount it on the bottom of the inverter with a (2 foot) home run to the BMK and AGS each.

When configured like this, neither one would communicate to the ARC.  Occasionally we had haphazard comms from one or the other, but mostly they just did not appear.

Changing over to put the splitter on the AGS and then returning back to the BMK, they both seemed to start working fine.

Just trying to understand what the problem could be here.  It must have been something with the network topology, I guess.

boB

Their communications might not be the best but it generally works OK.  Did you try changing cables ?

I think that the ARC requests information from the inverter, AGS and/or BMK and they respond.

If you have more than one inverter in the system, sometimes you have to run an  extra battery negative
between the two inverter's battery terminals to help.  It should be fairly short.  At least that's how it
was 10 years ago.  But if it doesn't work at ALL and not just intermittent, then that's probably not it.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Ron Swanson

I used the same cables for the reroute as I did for the initial setup.  It pretty much worked 100% on the daisy chain and 0% on the home run.

On the home run, if I disconnected one device or the other it would work.  But if they were both connected in home run, it was broken.

FNG

This has to do with the AGS, I am foggy on the layout but the way it was explained to me was every other item can be odd or even but the AGS has to be odd only or something to that effect, Meaning it has to be the next thing down stream plugged in from the inverter. I would shoot an email to magnumsupport@sensata.com and ask for clarification on that