Low temperature cutoff possible?

Started by holy_mole, April 25, 2019, 07:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holy_mole

I have purchased a Kid and I am installing it in the next week or two.  I have 1400 PV watts and a nominal 48v 16kwh lithium bank.  I live where it gets cold, very cold in fact, and I have a heating system on the lithium bank and monitor its temperature.  I need a safe way to prevent the Kid from charging when the temp goes below a setpoint of about 32F in case the heating is not going for some reason to prevent battery damage.  It looks like I can't control the Kid over RS232 or USB, so that's out.  I can put a relay in the PV input to the KID, but that brings its own problems.  Is there a creative way to use the battery temp sensor to control it?  It's not perfect, but I just need this as a failsafe.

FNG

I will ask about that today, I know Mario is knee deep in the new 600volt charge controller but it is a good idea to have low and high temp shutoff points

ClassicCrazy

Maybe a separate control -  temperature  controller with sensor on the batteries  going to  a SSR in the PV input line ? Would that work ? 

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on April 25, 2019, 09:38:54 PM
Maybe a separate control -  temperature  controller with sensor on the batteries  going to  a SSR in the PV input line ? Would that work ? 

Larry

Yep.  Sure should work
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me