Connecting Kid to Lithium Batteries

Started by Biopwr, May 05, 2019, 05:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biopwr

The WhizBang is on order.
Tecnodave I will try your suggestions but I am missing something the PV pos and neg connect to the Kid and there is a Battery Pos and Neg also would this neg go to the battery neg or to the shunt.
The other Pos and Neg go to the DC Load.

Please clairify the Battery Neg

tecnodave

Biopwr,

I may have misread your posting.......to clarify.....P.V. positive and negative go to the PV input terminals on the Kid controller. Battery negative from the Kid goes to the shunt, as do all other system negatives. The battery negative goes to the other side of the shunt. With this arrangement all current going to and from the battery goes through the shunt, and this value is read by the whizbang and is reported back to the Kid controller. End amps is controlled by reading the values reported by the shunt/whizbang, not by the internal shunt located within the kid controller.

I have very limited knowledge of using MidNite controllers charging my lithium batteries, I use a programmable lithium charger with built in BMS and monotoring. These are very small scale lithium packs.  My main battery banks are FLA
David

EDIT>>>>> biopwr, in your post #10 you stated that you have p.v. negative going to the shunt.....That is incorrect wiring.....the p.v. negative must go to the kid only.  The Kid controller measures current in the negative wire and if you wire p.v. negative to the shunt the kid will not "see" any current flowing through itself and with no whizbang it can't read current from the battery. So you have a Kid controller blindfolded......it can't see the power going to the battery, it can't possibly do its job........PLEASE....double check your wiring at the p.v. input.  I can't suggest how to charge this battery without the correct wiring, an installed shunt/whizbang. AND a BMS.....when lithium banks fail it can be rather dramatic!
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

Biopwr

Ok I finally got the Wizzbang and got it installed I am using the custom setting for the battery selection just to update everyone I am using the Lithium Batteries made by elite power solutions and provieded by Starlight Solar Power Systems in Arizona (http://www.starlightsolar.com/starlight_solar/index.html )

This is what I found out the Lithium Batteries selection on the Kid does not work properly it starts the timer that is timing how long it stays in Absorb as soon as the solar charge contorller turns on. The problem with this is you dont know how long to set the time for so it cant be left unatended so I set it up on the custom battery selection. This seems to be working properly, here is how I have it set up.

Asorb 14.2 v
Time 3 min (this is adjustable depending on your battery set from 1 min to 10 min.
Float 10.5 v
EQ set to off
Amplmt set load to 30 and battery to 30
Tcomp set to 0 and Eq to no
Advanced end amps to 0 and rebulk to 50% charge state

This is how I have mine set and it is working thanks to Todd from Midnite Solar. 8)