Skip days in Canada

Started by SolarMusher, May 11, 2019, 11:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SolarMusher

After a few years on my Rolls battery bank, I tried to skip one day on my Classic to get them charged only twice or three days a week.
Skip days on Classic is pretty simple: yes or no, one day on float and the other day on bulk.
As you all know, Canada is the most sunny place on earth and of course the bulk day is often a cloudy day.
Wouldn't skip day be more useful if it was related to the float charge? Something like, skip x days only after a float day.
This would avoid to get one full week without absorbing which is not really great.
Thoughts?
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

boB

Hi Erik...

Skip days skips the  Bulk/Absorb cycle.

This is to reduce water usage and increase battery life of Lead Acid batteries of course.

It will always go to Float either way.

The idea is that that complete Absorb time at higher voltage should not be necessary.  The batteries can get full state of charge (typically) without going through that Absorb time as long as the Amp-Hours are put back into them.

That's the idea anyway.  There are also schemes to be able to stop floating until the batteries fall below some "Re-Float" voltage.  We don't do that but certainly could.  There are all sorts of things you could do with an external controller like Raspberri Pi or something like that. 

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me