News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

WBjr dies and stops Classic working

Started by dgd, May 29, 2019, 08:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

This was a new one for me. Classic 150 with WBjr worked perfectly for years. Then a day ago midday 1700+ watts charging and charging stops, zero and Classic has the dreaded GOT COMM on display.
Power cycled but won’t start charging, factory reset but won’t start after setting voltages, sending data it says and hangs there. So checked all wiring, breakers and screw terminals tight. Got nowhere so stripped out Classic and inserted replacement, worked great until I put the WBjr purple wire in Aux2 and it stopped working, GOT COMM etc..
After expertly wasting an afternoon the WBjr was kaput, like me.
Replaced with new WBjr today and all works again.
So I was surprised a going dead WBjr took down C150
Trying to avoid problems with the 20 or so charging systems Classics I installed 2 Classics at each and left instructions for local people how to redirect PV to 2nd Classic if 1st fails. So now I realise I’m not the smartarse I thought I was as they all have just one WBjr.
So can anyone tell me if there is a way to restart a Classic when WBjr goes dud without needing to disconnect WBjr wiring?  As this is a too complicated task for many end users.
Or is this issue fixed in some FW version? Am I missing something obvious?
Thanks
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

ClassicCrazy

So the first dead Classic came back to life after you removed the Whizbang ?
Weird.
If it is something that you wanted a safeguard you could probably just put an external " use at last resort switch" on the wire from the Whizbang for your customers.
Lucky thing that if this had to happen it was with an advanced user like you to figure it out . Never heard of that before .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Westbranch

Hmmmm I would now be thinking it would be a " first to check" ....  How about a SMALL " Anderson  connector' added into the Purple wire? provides a safe disconnect under load...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

boB

The Aux 2 terminal that the WB Jr. plugs into should be protected by a 200+ mA (or so) PTC resettable fuse.

If the WB Jr. were to be shorted to negative, what should and usually does happen is that the Classic might do a power off/on reset as the momentary short to the auxiliary supply inside the Classic takes  just a moment to regain conscienceness and the PTC stays open.

So, not sure why the Classic would stay off ????

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

CC, yes the first Classic started working normally after the WBjr purple wire removed.  :)
boB, not shorted to negative externally unless a circuit fault occured that shorted. In any case the Classics just wont start with this dud WBjr connected. I tried using AUX setup to set aux2 not having WBjr but connecting this dud’s purple wire stops the Classic. Weird but no great deal now I know the problem
WB, i will just get spare WBjr so there is spare at each site. Although Im not sure thats a great idea either as end user with little knowledge of DC electricity is not best person to go poking around inside Epanel or DC panel looking for shunt then trying to remove WBjr and attach replacement. I have considered locking Epanels in past as there are too many inquisitive kids/people like to open door and look inside.
Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Nat Hill IV

I'm getting ready to order a WBjr.
This thread scares me more than a little bit.
Should I simply put in a simple switch on the purple wire in case it goes out?

A monitor going out shouldn't kill an entire system, should it?  :o

ClassicCrazy

Out of all the users on the group over the years that is the only time heard of a Whiz Bang doing that so must be a very rare occurance.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Nat Hill IV

Thanks Larry.
That makes sense.
I figured it would take weeks to get a response, not minutes!  :)

FNG

It sure sounds like it has to some how be sending odd data or something like that back to the processor, Remember it is a single wire connection and it pulses 12v to the WBjr to charge a cap and then listens on the processor for the data. If some how that "Listening" time was getting voltage back or some odd data I could see this happening, Although this is the first case in the life of the WBjr.

I think all you would have to do is change the Aux2 to something else other than WBjr and set it to off. Although if its in got comm you cant so it is a catch 22.

DGD send me an email we would like to get that WBjr back for autopsy ryan@midnitesolar.com